Reinvest dividends?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by bundy1964, 7th Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

In my margin loan I have an AMP fund returning 12% paid monthly back into my loan account reducing my overall loan.

Today I have a letter from them saying there will be a capital gains return in June and I have the option of staying as is and have the extra paid into the loan, pick a $ amount to recive each month with the rest reinvested or reinvest everything.

I am unlikely to ever draw an income from the fund or bother too much about how much debt I am capitalising.

Doing some rough numbers over 10 years based on 12% returns a loan rate of 8.85% and a starting capital of 30k all borrowed. Used 3 year average for c/g.

Capital $93,175.00 after 10 years compound.
    Capitalised interest $70,050.00
    Net gain $23,125.00

As above with 2% c/g $111,217.00
    Interest $70,050.00
    Net Gain $41,167.00

Retired debt over 10 years $9,360.00 by paying returns into the loan.
    $15,149.00 with savings on interest paid.

As above with 2% c/g $15,120.00
    $24,174.00 with savings on interest paid. (will be a bit less due to capital payment being once a year not monthly)

Does my maths add up? Anything I have missed? Any reason not to reinvest the lot? Holding cost is $213 a month.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Is that your only investment in the margin loan ? How about taking the distributions as cash paid into the loan and reinvesting them into another fund for some additional growth and a bit of diversity ? Just a thought.

3. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

It's the only managed fund in there not the only investment though. It is rapidly shrinking as a % of my investments and at the moment the cash is dropping down into the loan and used else where.

I have found it is a good defence against falling markets given that it only moves 1/2 of what the market does and has a lag before the lower price flows through to the margin loan giving the market a chance to recover. Was great for that in February when it was a decent % of the portfolio, now it is headed into single figure % of the portfolio it's not going to smooth out many bumps. Listed Hybrid Bonds have started to be my new defensive position as they rarely move when the music stops.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.