Renovating

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jacque, 27th Sep, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

After completing a renovating article recently (coming soon in the Education section!) I thought it might be interesting and useful to start a "Best Renovating Tips" thread. I realise that we can't possibly cover everything but at the very least we can provide ideas to one another.
    So, let's bring out those useful tips that might just prove handy to those of us who enjoy getting their hands dirty in property :)

I'll start off with two little painting tips which I've picked up and used to great effect in a couple of renovations now:

1. Avoid retiling ugly kitchen splashbacks by painting over with a suitable enamel paint such as White Knight products. Amazing difference!

2. Use a product like BIN (similar to ESP) as an undercoat for all surfaces that you want to paint over. It can be applied to varnished timber, laminate, tiles and even glass. Amazing stuff!

2. Tzaki

Tzaki Well-Known Member

Best and most important thing I learned during our reno of out PPOR is to get THREE or more quotes on everything!!

Roof: we were originally quoted $9k to just repair and paint the tiles, we actually paid $10k to repair the tiles, paint the roof, redo ridgecapping, new gutters and facia.

Kithchen:most quotes were $14k to $15k to rip out the existing ktichen and replace with new, most expensive was $24k (granite beches), we got a guy to add to existing layout and change colour of cupboards and vinyl wrap doors for $8k (remember this is PPOR so we didnt go for the cheapest option of paint everything..) we left the bechtop the same as it was still in good nick.

We did the 5 store walk and saved $400 to $500 on the appliances, which we then blew on a dishwasher!! :D

We did the ensuite and toilet up as fiquote was $6500-, most expesive was $12500- and we paid $3500-

It REALLY pays to get more than one quote - in this case about $30k from most expensive quotes to what we paid!

We paid more than we could have, but went for the more upmarket stuff in some instances, it is our home after all!

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Sep, 2005
  3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

You're right on the ball there, Steve, and I can relate with the wide variety of prices when it comes to quotes.
    I recently got three for some built in wall cabinets and the quotes ranged from $6,600 to $2,200. Quite amazing, for the exact same materials!

I also encourage my PM's to source more than one quote for bigger jobs, as tradesmen can sometimes hike up their prices if they feel as if the job is going to be for a landlord or someone who is unaware of prices.

4. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

The biggest and most obvious reno tip is to always look at easy to fix cosmetic issues and avoid major structural problems. A couple of coats of paint, new carpet (or polish floor boards), and change light fittings (if required) make a huge and dramatic difference. A cleanup of the garden, with some bark or mulch thrown on top also helps. Keep all this within your preset budget and away you go!