Rental Property tax deductions

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by lizzy1, 5th Sep, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lizzy1

lizzy1 New Member

Hi, I was hoping someone can help with my query on what decuctions I can claim relating to the purchase of a rental property. The expenses in question are conveyancing costs, stamp duty, transfer costs, and the Land Titles Office Charge. Also, does anyone know if setting up a mortgage attracts stamp duty, and how I would find this out.

Thanks

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Most of the costs of purchasing a property are not directly deductible, instead they are added to the cost base so that when you sell, you pay slightly less capital gains tax.

Mortgage costs are generally depreciated over 5 years I think.

I think that most states have now abolished stamp duty on mortgages - you'll need to double check with the OSR for the state you are purchasing in.

3. lizzy1

lizzy1 New Member

Thanks Sim, so to clarify, are you saying the the Conveyancing Costs, Mortgage Discharge and Registration and the transfer cost generated by the Land Titles office should all be capitalised, and treated as part of the cost of the investment, as distinct from being deducted treated like borrowing costs, and deducted over 5 years?

Any advise is much appreciated
    Lizzy

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes, that is exactly my understanding.