Rental reality question

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by talbashan, 19th Oct, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. talbashan

talbashan Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I've read the article and understand the concept BUT,
    How will rental reality work for a suburb with very expensive estates on one end and cheap units on the other. As an example, I live in an apartment in bellevue Hill, sydney. Although I share this suburb with Kerry Packer, we look for very different investment opportunities :)
    Now, if I was looking to buy an apartment in this suburb and tried to calculate rental reality for a unit, surely this figure will be distorted by the ridiculously high prices of some of the homes in this suburb.
    How do I account for this?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Aren't prices and rent returns usually separated out by dwelling type ? Usually I see figures for units and other figures for houses.

3. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Talbashan,

Yes, I think Sim is correct. Also, most reports split the dwelling type by price bracket. So, you can see the median price and rent for top 33% houses, middle 33% houses and bottom 33% houses in a postcode. So, when you are appraising a house in that postcode you can look at its price and determine which niche it is in. You can then use the rental reality for that niche to determine whether it represents good buying based on its current or projected rental income.

Here's a link to Aussie Valuer, the Aussie Houses website, which gives median prices for the last three years as well as current yield. It doesn't split yield by property niche, but Steve described where you can get this information in another post on this forum. I think he said you have to buy it from Residex or equivelant for around $60.

http://www.eaussie.com.au/aussie_valuer.htm

Cheers,
    Michael.

4. talbashan

talbashan Well-Known Member

thanks for that..
    I didn't realise that yield info is separated into different price brackets.
    cheers
    tal

5. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Which reports specifically do this, Michael? I haven't seen this either.

6. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Jacque,

Check the link I posted above as a start. Aussie Valuer offer a free service and it is split into price brackets by house/unit category.

Cheers,
    Michael.