Respectable areas?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 14th Mar, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I had an enquiry recently from a potential client whose criteria include purchasing in a "respectable" area. After pondering what this actually meant to me (maybe I think too much!) I thought I'd like to throw it over to you as investors- How would you define a respectable area in which in to invest?

2. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Low crime?

3. masterjunko

masterjunko Member

Respectable as in rich suburbs? Same suburb as where the Packards live? Maybe somewhere in the eastern suburbs and Mosman?

4. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Suburbs that will only hold hands on a first date? :p

I suspect the issue is socio-economic level...i.e. toffee nosed suburbs :D Altho that doesn't always make it low crime - it's just there's a better class of criminal :cool:

5. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

When I think respectable I think mowed front lawns with no smashed up car bodies out the front, all blinds/curtains etc attached, no graffitti sprayed aroung the place, a nice clean looking area, basically the exact opposite to my neighbours house.

BR

6. Chris.R_WA

Chris.R_WA Well-Known Member

Hahaha, you're describing exactly my neighbours house too!!

7. Jacque

Well here's my definition:

Neat and tidy looking suburb- mowed lawns, obvious pride in appearance

High owner occupier population- though this isn't definitive as areas close to CBD's with lots of units can often house more tenants than owners.

A known "reputation" by locals that the suburb is acceptable and on the right side of whatever highway, council area or border defines good vs bad.

Lower crime rates than the norm- though, as Nigel points out, white collar crime in other suburbs may be higher, but I'm talking about the general break ins and assaults etc that we hear about on the nightly news

Nil or low housing commission properties within the suburb

Reputable and sought after schools in the vicinity

Feeling of general safety when walking down the streets, day or night

Any more?

8. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Just to add to the list Jacque, geographically dependent though -
    - away from the area's natural challenges - eg Chelmer and Graceville in Brissie near the river have the "lowside" (floodable) and "highside" - you gotta be highside to be posh apparently.
    - Our area has some scrubby land and some level land and everyone wants the level land for their 'ponies'.

- but I guess both those are like your 'reputation' point

Also, good suburb = suburb that doesn't have 11 year old girls being allowed out with a T-Shirt on that has a "***** In Training" slogan on the front. I saw that the other day driving thru Ipswich which was a definite lowlight for me :(

9. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

To me, that would mean Neat, Tidy, Low Crime areas. Areas which don't have "a name" that people instantly kinda go "I wouldn't want to live THERE" type of responses.

Andrew.

10. Jacque

Ohmygod- what does that say about attitude? It speaks tomes for me. Poor kid- what's with parents allowing their children to wear crap like that?!

11. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

If its any comfort the 11 year old looked like she could take care of herself ... :rolleyes:

12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I had a friend who lived in a street where:

• There were constant fights and police arriving
    • Sometimes he had few neighbours, sometimes he had many (15 or so in one house, some on the lawn..not after a party, just sleeping outside).
    • Someone got speared
    • Someone hung themselves (in a neighbours yard....no tree's in thiers).
    • House was constantly being broken into..one time excrement was left everywhere...so he tek-screwed the mesch window protectors shut
    • He woke up one day to find someone had made a cardboard house on his doorstep when he went to work (had to wake them up so he could open his front door)
    • We were watching TV one day and noticed a tick crawling up his wall (he doesn't have dogs).
    Anywhere not like that must be respectable ;)

13. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I draw the line at getting speared.

14. Bantam Roosta

Bantam Roosta Well-Known Member

Sounds like my last house in Katherine. The other one we had every second day was one of the cousins sleeping outside deciding they wanted to go to town so they would come over to our place to ring a taxi for them. If they were off the grog, they were more then civil, it was just hard to find a time when that was the case.

BR