Join our investing community

Revisiting the basics!

Discussion in 'Investor Resources & Tools' started by TakeStock, 6th Feb, 2006.

1. TakeStock

TakeStock Well-Known Member

I have been investing for many years now and have amassed quite a reasonable portfolio of properties and shares. I am not dependent on income from these investments as I receive a very healthy income stream from my work (in the health industry) which I greatly enjoy and therefore I invest mainly for capital gains. I work (on average) three and a half days per week (no weekends) and take 7-8 weeks holidays per year. In other words, I am living the life I want to.

Now I don't say any of the above to brag, but rather to reflect on what I have achieved over the years. And the reason I am reflecting is that I am currently re-reading the book (that I originally read years ago) that really helped give me the mindset I needed to achieve this - "The Richest Man in Babylon" by George Clason. An absolute classic in the investment world.

If you haven't read this book;what are you doing wasting your time reading my post? Go out and get this book, grab a cup of coffee and sit back and enjoy the timeless messages contained within its pages.

If you have previously read it - grab it off the shelf, dust it off and start again. It is all too easy to get caught up in the investment world and lose track of what it's all about. This classic takes you back to the very basics - often a good place to revisit.

Cheers

2. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Consider "The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham = The Classic Bestseller on Value Investing.
    :cool:

3. kennethkohsg

kennethkohsg Well-Known Member

Dear TakeStock,

1.Very well said indeed!

2. Care to share with us some of the more relevant and helpful lessons which you have applied in your own investing success?

3. Thank you.

regards,
    Kenneth KOH