Rotting timber behind kitchen sink

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 29th Apr, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

OK all you timber lovers :D

I have a lovely recycled oregon benchtop in my PPOR kitchen which, unfortunately, has suffered water damage behind the sink, due to water "sitting" in the gap between the splashback and elevated sink. The timber has gone black over time and is quite unsightly.
    The goal is to replace the sink with a nicer one (and new taps) and restore the timber by stripping, sanding back and oiling with a waterproof product. However, I've been given conflicting advice as to whether or not this will work. Some have said the black won't come out, others have said it will....sigh..... Any takers on products that may do the restoration trick?

2. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque

Try a googling for 'intergrain' or 'cutek' products and 'timber restoration'. I've only used intergrain as a paint style finish, but both those brands have a good reputation for their restoration products, I think. (and intergrain has some products that they paint the underwater bit of jetties with, so I gather its pretty waterproof)

Not sure about oregon, and how easy it is to save (we gave up on our old oregon pergola, but it was pretty past it :p)

Cheers :)
    Carl

3. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Jacque this is probably cedar but looks suspiciously like oregon - the result is probably what you're after :

Colours

This is the Intergrain website btw - Intergrain – Timber Finishing & Decking – High Performance, Environmentally Responsible – Australia - For enquiries regarding product selection and application advice, call from anywhere in Australia free of charge on our toll free number: 1800 630 285

For sales enquiries (account holders only), call 1800 355 003

Or email your enquiry to [email protected]

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Thanks a lot Carl
    Am going to get onto that today :)