Join our investing community

Saving Money By Living In Your Car

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Norak Bastiat, 8th Mar, 2008.

1. Norak Bastiat

Norak Bastiat Well-Known Member

If my investments totally tank, I may have to live in my car. I am wondering how much thing will cost and whether it is cheaper than, say, renting.

I will have a certain amount of money invested and the dividends are sent to my bank account. I store my belongings in a self-storage warehouse. I live in my car. I get a PO Box if anyone wants to send me mail. If I want to check the Internet, I go to a library or internet cafe.

Would this work? It is a good way to save money so I can invest more?

2. Insight

Insight Brisbane Buyers Agent

Should be some way to check out the location of soup kitchens and do a weekly rotation. Around larger towns they often have evening buses serving coffee and sangers to the resident homeless, dress scruffy and nobody is going to check.

Find a 24 hr McDonalds and try and use the bathroom whenever you can, also public pools are a good place to catch a stealth shower and shave when nobody is watching too close.

Invoking some psychological influence tricks can generate income streams. Invest in a bunch of cheap flowers when soliciting for money, walk up to a stranger and make sure they accept the flower as a 'free' gift, under no circumstances take it back and when they accept hit them up for a donation for a meal for a person down on their luck.

High traffic areas might be a good place to put out your hat, sprinkle it with coins and have a badly written sign next to you 'Gen Y, I thought the good times would last forever'.

Good luck and may your wine bottle never run dry!

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

4. rowande

rowande Member

I hadn't realised but Maslow has sex up there before shelter, employment, morality and health. Thats just plain sex, not intimate sex. All those people with jobs who aren't getting sex had better think about their priorities.

I think Maslow neglects my need to save enough money so that I'm no longer a slave of the workforce.

5. Billv

Billv Getting there

Nope, it won't be very comfortable
    find a girlfriend/boyfriend move in with parents/inlaws etc are better options.
    As a last resort, convert a garage to 1 bedroom flat or get a caravan or something...
    IMHO

6. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Rowande,

You need to start at the bottom, just like a pyramid is being built. so Physiological is most important, then Safety, then Love/Belonging, then Esteem and finally Self-Actualisation.

Cheers,

Dan

7. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

My thoughts in CAPS

8. rowande

rowande Member

Norak,

There used to be a guy around my area who I saw living in his car. I couldn't figure out why anyone would do this. Running a car plus the extra money spent on takeaway food would have to cost more than living in some backpackers or share houses. A few years back I had 4.5k to survive six months on. By moving into a sharehouse, home brewing beer, using a breadmaker, bulk buying food and cycling everywhere I managed to live quite respectfully. I think you would struggle to live in a car at this cost. Maybe try living in a tent - that could get you some extra money for investment. ASX bargains everywhere! buy buy buy ;)

9. arandomperson

arandomperson Member

Hi Norak,
    A few minutes after your post about living in your car you make another post saying you live with your parents and they don't feed you vegetables. I am presuming here that your folks must be about to ask you to leave the house, perhaps because they worry about your internet posts lacking consistency. I suggest making a deal with your parents where you can live in their back yard in a tent, or maybe get a kit cubby house from Bunnings, and in return maintaining a small vegetable patch in another part of the yard to provide you and your family with fresh healthy vegetables. A win win situation. if you have wifi and a laptop you may be able to manage your portfolio from the back yard.