Join our investing community

Seems awfully quiet around here

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by johnnyb, 16th Aug, 2006.

1. johnnyb

johnnyb Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Doesn't seem like there are many posters around the forum at the moment. Maybe everyone is busy doing their tax returns - I'm still waiting for some statments to come though for some managed funds before getting stuck into mine (I'm not looking forward to it as I seem to be particularly disorganised this year :( ).

Can we see any stats for site usage or number of posts anywhere. Maybe there are lots of lurkers.

John.

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Tax *groan*......

Luckily I have a spouse who loves doing that on behalf of our household (not)..

Can't help you out with site stats (Sim is the man to ask here) but I know that with over 500 members, we still have a no. of lurkers who are probably readers only.

Some people are far too busy or disinclined to add to public forums as well...not like the rest of us who appear to be addicted :D :D

3. johnnyb

or who are trying desperately to avoid work :(

4. pudsa

pudsa Well-Known Member

Probably a lot of people are here to learn. Can be a bit daunting to contribute when some posters on here seem to know so much. Even though our posts are mainly anonymous guess we are reluctant to put something here which seems particularly dumb. :D

5. johnnyb

Maybe that's part of it. But you know you'll never learn if you never ask, and there's no such thing as a dumb question (but I think there are such things as dumb answers :eek: )

John.

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I've also been running a few cylinders short of late having sent my main laptop in for repairs last week to fix a CPU fan problem and then having to rebuild it from scratch over the last few days to sort out some Windows bugs. *sigh*

7. pudsa

pudsa Well-Known Member

See your total posts have reached an interesting number Sim (666)!! :D

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

That's why I'm still posting :p

9. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

I vehemently disagree Pudsa!! Some posters may know a particular amount of knowledge about a specific area/topic of investment more so than others, but we ALL learn from each other. If I hadn't started going onto forums and asking all the burning questions that were taking up space in my head I would be far less the wiser for it. There is still so much to know! I am yet a mere babe in the woods when it comes to learning, as we all are.

I must admit when it comes to shares, I have little interest and so don't possess the thirst to want to know more (hence my lack of questions) but when it comes to topics where I yearn to learn, I believe the only way forward is to ask. It's the fastest way to grow :D

After all, as Johnny has pointed out, there's no such thing as a dumb question. It's our fear of being seen to be less intelligent or learned as others that holds us all back at times. Humans really can be so vain at times, can't we?! :D

Last edited: 16th Aug, 2006