Selection Criteria

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Redwing, 10th Mar, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea on a site to search for shares that meet my selection criteria below?

Dividend Growth>7%
    Revenue Growth>10%
    ROE Return on Equity>14%
    EPS earnings per share>9%
    Gearing Ratio<70%
    Interest Cover = at least 3
    A PE/G< 1

Another Search Criteria I had was:

Shares listed that had the Highest Return on Capital
    and
    Highest Yield

......listed highest to lowest on seperate lists (and then compare both), however, could not see anywhere where I could perform this search?

I'm with Comsec, but can't find anything of use there..or with Big Charts, Stock Scan etc

2. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

That sounds very much like Peter Spann's stock picking criteria; actually it's exactly the criteria he teaches. I have a "copy" of his training manuals. :)

Just beware of the fact that any forward looking measures (such as EPS growth, etc) are based on the forecasts of analysts. Often these analysts disagree with each other, so they're not always right. I'm not saying ignore them, but just beware of discrepancies.

CommSec has the facility you're looking for, but it's a little hidden on the website.

When you logon in:
    1) News & Research (left hand menu)
    2) Company Research (top menu)
    3) Advanced Search Tool (secondary top menu)

It will do exactly what you want. Or if you want to pay money, MarketScan will do the same.

3. Redwing

Thanks iinvestor

Had a look at Comsec advanced tools but I'm perplexed by the selection there and how to apply the above

As well as..

I'd like to list the top 300 ASX stocks by

1- Highest Return on Capital to lowest

2- Highest Yield to lowest

Import them into excel and compare the two lists..

not that i know what i'm doing though i'd be interested inthe results..:D

4. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

Once you learn how to use it, you'll be able to do any search you choose.

Let's use ROE > 14% in this example:

1) The first listbox contains the categories for the indicators/measures/etc. For ROE, we need to select: Performance Measures

2) The second listbox contains the indicators/measures/etc. For ROE, we need to select: Return on Equity

3) The third listbox contains the conditional operator to apply to the indicator. In this case we want ROE > 14%, so we need to select: Greater Than

4) The fourth section allows you to enter the conditional value. We need to work with percentages as decimals, so we need to type in: 0.14

5) Click 'Add Query' to save the query

6) Repeat for all of your conditions and then click 'Run Query'

You should then get a list of all securities that match your query. If you mess up any of the queries though, you may not see anything. So in the beginning, add one query at a time and run the query to make sure it's working. Otherwise it can be a pain in the ass to debug a really large group of queries.

Happy searching! :D

5. Redwing

Thanks for the post I'll have a play

I've re-registered with Comsec through the HDT and am using the HDT for purchasing shares in addition to IP's (and M/Funds such as NAVRA).

6. Tom Alaka

Tom Alaka Well-Known Member

AFR Access also provides all the search criteria. But not for the free access, only for the $25/mnth subscription

7. Redwing

I had a play with Yahoo Widgets yesterday and set up the following watchlist..here's the result today at end of trade

1. FMG +8.7%
    2. WOW +1.67%
    3. CBA +1.81%
    4. SMM +4.66%
    5. BNM +1.55%
    6. RIO +1.12%
    7. SGB +1.98%