selling shares help....

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by cassigirl, 3rd Dec, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. cassigirl

cassigirl New Member

Hello.
    I am new to shares & therefore have no idea. I was wondering if anyone could help me out in anyway.........
    We are going to sell some Woolworths shares that we were given on a 10 year loan from Woolworths. The dividents went to paying the loan off. We have not paid any funds (until now) to pay for them.
    They were purchased/allocated to us in jan 01 (husband) 330 shares @ $8.11 and may 03 - 470 shares @ $12.92 for me.

We are going to sell them after we pay off the loan.
    The current price for the WOW shares is $28

I guess what I want to know is how do we go about selling them & then how do we work out capital gains tax?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.....
    Regards,
    Sandi :)

me - 470 @ 28 = $13160 less what "purchase" price was $6072.40 =7087.60 so I figure 50% of that tax free so $3543.80 would be taxable???

husband - 330@ 28 = 9240 - 2676.30 = 6563.70 so 3281.85 would be taxable???

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Dec, 2009
  2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Have you sold your shares yet?
    There are many online brokers you can use but since you won't have an account with them they'll ask you to fill out a form and to follow a specific process

Here is some info from CMC

Share Trading - One-off Sale Facility

3. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

If these were acquired under an employee share scheme then the CGT rules are complicated and depend on any elections you might have made in the year you were given them.

Cheers,

Rob

4. cassigirl

cassigirl New Member

Thanks for your replies!!!
    I guess I will have to find a financial adviser or see my tax guy before I see the shares!!!! I had hoped it might be a nice easy process, but I should have know better than that! lol

Thank you again for the help.
    Sandi :)