share market improved. Good time to buy?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Sashatheman, 23rd Jan, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

hello my first proper post.

I been following the sharemarket dropping for last few weeks.
    This morning with the announcement of US 0.75 per cent rate cut, the shares seem to bounce back abit.

I am new to shares, but it seems to me like this would be good time to grab those bargains people spoke of.

Any professions want to comment if today and perphaps following days it's good time to buy?

Thank you

Sasha

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Well stocks are arguably cheap at the moment - but I think it's a bit early to tell whether this is the bottom, or whether we will see further weakness. I personally suspect we will see sideways trading for up to a year before the markets start to recover ... so while it might be cheap now - it may take a while to make much money out of your investments.

Of course, this is just a guess - I'm no expert and I can't say exactly what is going to happen!

3. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

PDN are approx half price from where I bought them in September.
    I'm planning on buying another lot to lower the average price.

4. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Or perhaps BHP is a buying opportunity now. China still wants its recources I assume.

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

I agree with Sim.

Certainly now is a much better time to buy into the market than at any time in the last 6-12 months, but it's quite possible there is still further to go before we hit the bottom.

I'd suggest dollar cost averaging over the next 6 months, with the remainder of your cash in a high interest bank account. That way you're playing it pretty safe whilst still buying in.