Share tracking tools and analysis

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by dkmc, 30th Aug, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dkmc

dkmc Well-Known Member

Im wondering what everyone uses to track their shares. I gather excel would be pretty popular. Anyone got some spreadsheets they wish to share??
    Anyone used Maus stockmarket plus? It looks pretty good.
    Is there any other good software around that can a) help you track your shares / dividends/ print reports at the end of yr, b) help with analysis, trends, fundamentals, buy/sell signals
    thanks

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've used Quicken to track stuff - but found it to be a bit lacking and confusing ... so that's a recommendation to keep looking :D

Can't make any other suggestions sorry.

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Active Member

I use PSM Gold (Personal Stock manager). Quite a nice little program. My only complaint is that it's US centric so doesn't allow for GST and doesn't calculate CGT on the sale.

Worth downloading the trial and seeing what you think.

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I have Stock Market Plus and havn't been that impressed with it so far, but there doesn't seem to be much else around as far as tracking a portfolio. It does the basics as far as recording transactions etc.

I'm annoyed that it doesn't automatically download prices from my Metastock data base. I have to down load files for each day and then import those. It's not a long process, but I think they're slack in not having that available. The documentation to do that was poor , and they didn't reply to my emails.

I ended up ringing up their support and talking to one guy who seemed to know what he was doing , but he didn't follow up with me when I emailed a copy of the file that wouldn't up load, and when I got back to them the next people who I talked to were hopeless and said that I couldn't do what I wanted to do. I still had the name of the guy I talked to before and eventually they put be through to him and he was able to solve the problem.

If I didn't have Maus Plus , I'd look at this program http://www.topshare.com.au/ which I've seen good wraps on , but havn't checked it myself. It's Aussie based so GST shouldn't be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about Maus for buy sell stuff. Depends on how serious you are. More and more of the technical analysis buffs that I know are going to
    Amibroker , which is cheap , VERY powerfull , but can take a while to work out how to use. ( I'd chose that over Metastock anyday , which up to now has been the preferred program for tech buffs). The big feature for amibroker is portfolio wide back testing and optimisation.

Incredible charts ( ? Free )
    Bull Charts have their followers and there's another Australian one ( can't think of name atm) which enables searches on fundamentals ( ? market cast ..?)

See Change

5. Steve Navra

Steve Navra Well-Known Member

Sorry didn't see this post earlier:

NavTraDE has a built in share tracker!

I will separate this from the algorithm :p and forward it to Sim' . . . who I am sure will be able to offer it on the site.

regards,
    Steve

6. Gameboy

Gameboy Member

Patitechs Portfolio manager I liked until I overloaded it, they refunded so all was good. Apart from the 2 hours a night for 2 weeks transferring all my trades to new software :mad: .

I now use Ezymanger which I find excellent with easy download of data from metastock format.

Chart wise I used Metastock Pro with market cast live data and Bodhi end of day data but gave it the flick for www.bullcharts.com.au which I absolutely love. Much cheaper and way more powerful that Metastock Pro. Its very user friendly unlike metastock and support is fantastic.

The fundamental search See Change refers to might be Stockdoctor. I don’t recall marketcast having it unless it was an upgrade I didn’t have.

7. eddievanhalen

eddievanhalen Active Member

In answer to some of the questions above:

- Topshare is quite a good little portfolio manager and I can vouch for their support etc............as I use it. Must admit though I had to point out plenty of mistakes to them in the earlier days , but it works well now. The only gripe I have (more relevant for active traders) is that it does not allow you to record a buy and a sell on the same day for a given stock :mad: This means that basically any time this happens you need to carry trades forward to the next day etc..........

- if you wish to search based upon FA criteria there are various methods available. The high end (read expensive) option is Stock Doctor and I don't know of too many people who aren't happy with it. This involves purchasing the software and then a hefty yearly license fee.

Then there is Marketscan which I also believe is a reasonable product and has some TA criteria too

Paritech have a Metastock add-on for versions 8 and higher called Meta Market that can be used to combine fundamental and technical searches within Metastock. The FA stuff is pretty basic though from memory (ie market cap, div yld etc.......)

There is also a product on the market called Sherpa that combines FA and TA scans. It was developed by Roger Montgomery (who some here may know). Unfortunately the 1st few versions were absolute crap and I spent more time helping them fix mistakes than trading. In the end Roger decided to fob the software off to HUBB (who provided the data - yes, you were only allowed one data supplier and IMHO they were hopeless too). and left all who had bought the software on his recommendation in the lurch. Needless to say I soon dumped this idea and returned to Metastock.

The other option for those wanting to do basic FA scans is to set up a free Comsec account and use the scanning there (provided by Aspect/Huntleys) which is quite good. I subscribe to Aspect Huntleys just as a back up and you get a few extra add ons if you are a subscriber.

Hope that is of some assistance
    Ed.

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Oct, 2005
  8. See Change

Gameboy

Wasn't Stock Doctor I was referring to though I'd agree with Eddie that it has a good reputation.
    The program is Insight Trader ( I'm at home so can check :) ...)

http://www.justdata.com.au/Products/InsightTrader/index.htm

I use Bohdi freeway for my data and that can download the FA data as well.

Another Option for portfolio management is Stator

http://www.stator-afm.com/ Which gets a good rap from a couple of people in this post

http://lightning.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~reefcap/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=23;t=000528

See Change

9. Bob__

Bob__ Well-Known Member

Sim,

Any chance of a copy of this share tracker

Thanks

Bob

10. Andrew G

Andrew G Well-Known Member

This last post was back in December of 2005. Over a year on, has there been anything develop with regards to this query?

Andrew.

11. CeeJay__

CeeJay__ New Member

I'm the author of Topshare, mentioned above by Seachange and Eddie. I found this site after analysing my website logs, and finding quite a few hits from this thread.

Topshare's been around since 2002 and I'd be the first to agree with Eddie that the early versions were a bit rough around the edges. But Topshare's matured now, and updates continue to be released.

I just want to add to Eddie's comment about inability to support day-trading. While that was indeed the case early on, Topshare has had full support for day-trading since version 1.12 was released in December 05.

Happy to answer any questions about Topshare - either here or PM me.

Cheers,
    Chris

12. See Change

I ended up ditching Maus and going with Stator which does all the things I want it to do.

Cliff

13. islandgirl__

islandgirl__ Well-Known Member

I don't know if this little spreadsheet is of help to anyone. Its a very simple one that I found a long time ago when I was still a subscriber of Rivkin's reports. Its a really simple spreadsheet that allows you to track, buy and sell and do simple reports at tax time. It use to automatically update but I guess some of the links has changed and someone more adept than me can fix that. I tried to track down the orginator but I can't find him.

Hopefully this may help someone.

View attachment 259

Attached Files:

14. oob

oob New Member

My spreadsheet got too complicated and I couldn't get a grip on Quicken so I changed to My Portfolio Frontier which I found easy to record my trades and get tax reports.

15. kck

kck New Member

In response to these posts I'd also like to mention our product: Manage Invest.

Manage Invest was designed after years of experience with our SMSF admin product. This has helped to make it one of the most user friendly and complete packages available. It can handle all types of investments in one package, includes share market data and foreign exchange data (fed straight into the software) and can handle many number of investors in many portfolios.

In depth analysis (including benchmarking) are included, along with lots of financial, asset and member reports.

Happy to answer any questions, please email or PM me.

Thanks,

Kck

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.