Sharemarket resources

Discussion in 'Property Information Resources & Tools' started by TryHard, 17th Aug, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

My disclaimer - I know nothing about the sharemarket, except I did the last of the ASX 4-part education seminars ... since decided way too hard and stick with NavraInvest :)

However the resources I found from that have been quite interesting, might be useful to any other share newbies ? :

www.tradingroom.com.au

www.bigcharts.com excellent charting for anything up to a decade (stick the au: in front of the code eg. au:nab )

www.dailyreckoning.com - ecomonic analysts - supposedly good for sussing out likely directions in commodoties etc. the ASX dude reckoned they are generally paraphrased 3-6 months later in the Fin Review - dunno how true that is - should test it one day :)

http://futures.tradingcharts.com/ - prices on pretty much any commodity (I liked all the others, this one was a bit complex for my tiny brain)

http://www.financialsense.com/ - general guff and US based analysis

HTH
    Cheers
    Carl

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Thanks for those, Carl. I'm sure all those die hard Shares fans will find sites like this very worthwhile :)

3. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

I've been reading Financial Sense for quite a while now and find it to be excellent. Jim's 'Stormwatch' series is one that I always look forward to seeing new parts added.

4. Andrew__

Andrew__ Member

"Incredible Charts" is an Australian program that has an active forum
    associated with it, worth a look.

The program is also free with delayed data option. Up to the minute
    data is reasonably priced IIRC.

andy

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Aug, 2005
  6. eddievanhalen

eddievanhalen Active Member

There is a site in which I have a little involvement (not as much as I used to due to time constraints) as a voluntary moderator and contributor called www.tradersnetwork.org It is a little similar to this site in that it developed as a paid site out of the old , now defunct , stockcentral.com.au. At the time stockcentral and Hot Copper were the two top trading forums in the country.

Paid membership does tend to weed out the troublemakers that tend to populate stock market forums and I can confidently say that the resources available there are worth the subscription for a beginner. There are without a doubt a number of the top traders/investors in Australia who frequent the forums also, which can tend to speed up the learning process for newbies (if they ask questions and contribute) Like this site the word "advice" is taboo but there's plenty of people willing to share their thoughts and experience. Site membership includes access to premium content at sites like miningnews.net , energyreview , longwall news that is worth well more than the membership fee IF they are things you would find useful.

As I said , I am not involved beyond being a paying member (more an enjoyable social outlet for myself as a relatively experienced trader but there's always little tidbits to learn no matter what your experience) and moderator. A one month pro rata trial is available at the site if people are interested in a test.

If I notice any questions regarding the stockmarket on this site I will try and reply where I think I can help without writing an essay.

Cheers,

Ed

Last edited by a moderator: 31st Aug, 2005
  7. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Eddie

I thought TNO developed from StockCentral which eventaully closed as it's owner was unable to make it financially worthwhile.

I know many of the regulars went over to TNO , but the ones who were unhappy with what happened went over to reefcap , which is the other site worth checking out.

http://lightning.he.net/cgi-bin/suid/~reefcap/ultimatebb.cgi

It's owner , Nick Radge is a long time broker, and has recently had the site upgraded to comply with some asic regulations. He takes the moderating seriously.

You won't get too many tips about what to buy. People are more interested in working out the logic behind trading , and there are a lot of people into systems and backtesting etc.

Check out the techtrader posts . this system has been traded on the site for about two years with nice profits.

See Change

8. eddievanhalen

You're right seechange :( - slip of the tongue. Have corrected above. You're right - the main fella behind Stock Central (Austin) took most of the "senior members" of that forum and set up TNO as a paid site. Most of those that didn't migrate to TNO went to Reefcap as you say. I used to check out Reefcap a little but it isn't my cup of tea - always seemed to me like a lot of old philosphers who spend more time trying to figure out the meaning of life than actually doing much.

I'm familiar with TechA and his techtrader and that's not my cup of tea either , nor is mechanical system trading in general which seems to be the focus at Reefcap (or was when I checked it out). A talented discretionary trader who is good at FA and TA will annihilate a system trader on the ASX any day of the week IMHO but doing it is very much easier said than done ofcourse. I do have time for TechA though as he seems genuine in his attempts to help others and has developed a good system that he can set and forget while he does other things. I'm here doing a hundred things at once all day and I expect a much higher return (in proportion to the time spent) The reason I favour TNO is that the better guys there have a (relatively) similar philosophy on trading to myself - that's not to say I'm necessarily right ;)

I also have a lot of respect for Nick Radge (who has just left Macquarie) and how he goes about things - don't believe in his approach to trading either , but as usual it's horses for courses, each to their own etc.......

Cheers,

Ed.

9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I've said before that if was to ever take up trading full time TNO is the place to go . I assume people like Country Boy and Fastoy are still doing the rounds over there.

I think the divide between the mechanical system people I know and the sort of traders you're talking about is that the system traders are tending to do it on a longer time basis rather than short term trading . The people who I base my approach on ( mainly Stevo and Tech ) ,like me , have their own businesses. We've flirted with short term trading ( Though PXS is doing very nicely at the moment ..:) ), but have found it time consuming and are happy to run our business and make money with trading on the side.

Full time trading appeals to some , but I know I'm not in that group.

See Change

10. eddievanhalen

Yeah SC - Country Lad and fastoy are still around. To be honest even if I was in your situation -as I have been before- (working all week and trading/investing concurrently) I'd still be using a discretionary system and investing based upon FA and TA analysis rather than a mechanical signal. But that's just my preference ; and ofcourse it would still be more time consuming than a mechanical system I must admit.

I should also point out that , unlike many on TNO , the timeframe of my trades is anything from a few days to a few years . I am a trader and an investor who uses detailed TA and detailed FA according to different circumstances - not an approach taken by many because it is just too damn big a task and so time consuming.

Cheers,

Ed.