Should my Strata be so much higher being up one level?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by jonathon83, 29th Apr, 2009.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jonathon83

jonathon83 New Member

Anyone that can help explain if this is correct and why so.
    I live in a unit that has no elevator,swimming pool gym or anything of the sort and is only 3 flights of stairs high, strata went up from 340 per quarter but was under cost as it is a new building and has now for me being on the top level jumped to $611 per quarter which fair enough if it had to go up to cover cost but why is every unit differnt as the unit one below me only pays 478 should it be such a difference when there is nothing that I get more than the unit below no views even??
    If so is there an agency I can contact who can check it up on my behalf that deals with that sort of thing and wont cost me from pocket?
    THANKS HEAPS JONATHON

2. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Strata fees in NSW are levied based on the "unit entitlement" which would have been shown in the plans attached to the contract when you bought.

eg 5 unit block
    Unit 1, 2, 3 1 entitlement each
    Unit 4 2 entitlements
    Unit 5 5 entitlement

then unit 5 pays 5 times more than units 1, 2 and 3

3. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

JRC is right- it's all on the strata plan that you'll have with the contract when you purchased the property. Each unit or lot within a complex is allotted a no. of entitlements, and these vary depending on position (usually the higher you are the more you have) size of unit and features. If you're concerned, you can always bring it up at the next OC meeting and get in touch with your building's strata manager to find out when this is.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.