Join our investing community

Should you pay down your mortgage or invest?

Discussion in 'Investing Strategies' started by twisted strategies, 20th Oct, 2019.

1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

Should you pay down your mortgage or invest?

while this is basically click-bait , it trivializes a much bigger question

while i bought a property in my mid 20s ( as did my parents )

is buying a residential home the best idea for you ( ever ?? )
    with the trend towards casualization of the workforce and the trend to 'refresh at management level ( often preferring the external candidate ), , a ' job for life ' is almost an ancient legend and even if you stay with the selected company will you still be employed , in that city , state or even country , so your home might easily become nothing more than a 'holiday home ' ( if you dare take annual leave )

add into this mix is the actual family stability , where family split are fairly common now ( several in my circle are on their 3rd or 4th 'life partner ) so 'family home is becoming a myth as well

now i am not saying buying a house is wasted cash , but is it wise to buy a house for a home base for say the first 3 or 4 years , but when you need to move keep it as an investment property ( renting it out for as long as it makes sense , you might want to retire there , or maybe by then it is better sense to sell or redevelop into units .

now while mentioning employment and family stability is it wise ( for you ) to commit to a 10 to 30 year mortgage commitment ., the old adage rent money , is dead money ( for the renter ) is now offset by the greater flexibilty in employment opportunities , and then you also can by property for investment potential as a priority ( or invest that cash wisely elsewhere )

one might also notice a trend to push older homeowners into selling their property and moved into a 'long lease ' retirement village ( sure they make believe you can sell your villa but most times the trust is the only buyer .. as if the Royal commission will address that scam , LOL )

RS Gumby likes this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

Government must step up for homeowners and renters

Government must step up for homeowners and renters

so with the 'home-ownership ' pillar crumbling , , the personal saving pillar sinking into the economic quicksand and the aged pension pillar creeping further away each year .....

any members with terrific skills on a pogo stick ??? ( or uni-cycle )

RS Gumby likes this.