Join our investing community

Show me the money

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by Simon Hampel, 10th Jul, 2008.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Show me the money

2. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

That statement about $40,000 a year for a planner is a bit of a stretch. That's what entry level paraplanners can expect. I don't know a single adviser that would even consider taking a job for $40,000 a year, unless the bonuses were enormous.

Mark

3. Billv

Billv Getting there

Except when there are no jobs around
    so $40k is better than nothing...

4. Young Gun

Young Gun Guest

looks like I should change employer......

5. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hi Bill,

There are always jobs around. Remember this is a story in a newspaper, so of course it's going to sensationalise things. I work in the industry and have heard nothing whatsoever of such a massive slowdown in W.A. There's been a bit of 'applying the brakes' all over Aust. in the last few months, but frankly this story is a bit stinky to me.

Mark

Edit: Just had a look on Seek and there aren't exactly a shortage of jobs in Perth. Some of the jobs I saw advertised were offering Client Services people (entry level position) 50K plus super. Senior paraplanners were being offered 70 - 90K. I'm sure I could have found advisers stuff, but I only looked at the first two pages. I'll say again - there is no way in the world advisers are being offered salaries of 40K. Absolutely no way in the world.

6. Billv

Billv Getting there

Mark

I know, jobs wouldn't have just dried up overnight.

I am actually suspecting that financial advisers should soon be busier than before because the easy ride on the share market is over.

Money is no longer easy to make so expert advise will be required.

Also, when People get their super statement and after they get over the first shock they will be knocking on your door looking for ways to improve their returns.

Cheers