Join our investing community

Sim, yet another computer question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Mark Laszczuk, 22nd May, 2008.

1. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hey Sim,

The other day the power supply died in my computer. I know this because it wouldn't even attempt to turn on. So I had a spare one that I had from my old computer that I replaced it with. Now see here's the thing, today my computer started having issues. By issues I mean it restarts periodically. When it tries to restart, it just keeps restarting again after trying to boot up for about 15 seconds.

So I turn it off and leave it off for 30 minutes or so and restart it and it works fine for a little while, then does the restart thing again. I thought maybe it could be the CPU overheating, but all the fans are working, so I don't see how that could be the issue? Could it be that the power supply I put in there isn't strong enough and I just need to replace the power supply with a new one?

Mark

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

This is quite likely the case - power supplies have a specific rating for the amount of power they can output. If you try and draw more power than it is capable of delivering, a protection circuit will kick in.

See if you can find some label on the old power supply unit and see what power it can do (probably 200 or 300 Watts). You need to make sure you buy something at least as powerful as your old PSU.

3. Mark Laszczuk

Thanks Sim.

Mark

Edit: Okay, so I looked at the old PSU and it has 'Only 230V' stamped on it. Does this mean I should be looking for something around that or maybe a bit higher - say 250 or 300V?

4. Simon Hampel

Not "Volts" - you need "Watts" (power)

5. Mark Laszczuk

Oh. Well, it doesn't say anything about watts on there (that I can see).

Mark

6. Mark Laszczuk

I think I need new eyeballs... Found a sticker on it that says '550W Max'. So I guess up to or around 550W is okay? Also, what brand would you recommend?

Mark

7. Simon Hampel

Yup - 550W is pretty high, probably wouldn't need to go any higher unless you were running a full-tower server with quite a few drives and fans in it.

Would make a nice heater that PSU!

My office is so much cooler and quieter now that I've ditched the two tower PCs I had and replaced them with laptops!

8. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Mark,

It's definitely the PSU, I had the same problem after my desktop had two hard drives and two dvd burners and a winding on the PSU blew.

It was an older power supply and it had two windings, nowadays it's all electronic (no windings).

I used to hate laptops, mainly because you couldn't upgrade them. Nowadays, I love laptops! They make less heat (see Sim's comment about his room being cooler) and use less power, they can be used and charged at the same time on 65W! Almost ten times less than what your currently using!! Think about how energy friendly you will be!!!

Then, depending on your battery and usage you don't need to plug it in for the next 2 or 3 hours (using mechanical parts will draw more power, ie dvd burner/player if your watching a dvd or burning a dvd, less with the hard disc as it will buffer information).

Most bits on a laptop that you would want to upgrade are upgradeable or getting attachments (ie, RAM, Hard Disc, you can use a USB mouse, keyboard, etc if you don't like the touchpad or the different feel in the keyboard).

Cheers,

Dan

9. Here_To_Learn

Here_To_Learn Well-Known Member

Whilst on topic .. can I throw another one out there for you computer gurus ?

I have an NVIDIA graphics card on my PC. It has 2 outputs. 1 x 15pin VGA and 1 x DVI built in on the ASUS motherboard.

I have hooked up both cables and my 17" Dell LCD monitor can display both inputs.

The problem I have is that I can only view videos using the Analog input. When I switch to Digital I can see Windows Media Player but no video. Just a dark screen. It's driving me nuts !

Any ideas ?