Similar vehicles to SMSF?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Bonnie, 29th May, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bonnie

Bonnie Member

Hello all

We have about $120K of Super that I want to have more control over but don't necessarily want to start a SMSF. I am after something like Sunsuper that has low costs but allows you a reasonable choice of low cust funds - we like index funds and LICs, after nice conservative growth rather than any excitement and have 16 years to get there. I had a look at esuper but probably prefer something a little more traditional. Is anyone else with a Super fund that gives them a bit of flexibility or is Sunsuper it? I am waiting to see if Sunsuper allow contribution splitting and at what cost - does anyone know?

We have actually been advised to set up a SMSF which I think - with my limited finance acumen - is a bit of overkill on a low balance when I know I can pay less than 1% to do exactly what I want to with something like Sunsuper. Just nutting out some other options.

Thanks
    xx

2. Superman__

Superman__ Well-Known Member

Bonnie,

Good to see that you are thinking this through clearly.

Basically, the more flexibility and control you want, the more in fees you pay (which is ironic because you would probably be doing more of the work).

Your decision will also depend on what type of investment you are looking to invest in.

Also look at insurance benefits contained within your current Sunsuper prior to making a switch.

If you want a name of a provider, have a look at Asgard and Colonial First State. You should be able to locate an account which gives you more choice of investments. I think they offer the ability to purchase ASX shares through the account without the need for an SMSF.

Hope this helps - keep researching.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia