SMSF as beneficiary for Family trust capital distribution

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by MarkG, 15th May, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MarkG

MarkG New Member

Hello,
    My partner is a beneficiary of a family trust which has just sold a property. The proceeds of that sale is to be distributed to the beneficiaries of the family trust as capital.
    Is it possible for my partner's SMSF to be made a beneficiary of the family trust and then have the capital distributed to it? Does this reduce the capital gains tax due?

We would be hugely grateful for any advice here.

Thanks,
    Mark

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Unless it is a fixed trust the income will probably be non arms length income and taxed at 47%

3. MarkG

MarkG New Member

Thanks for replying Terry.

My key question is whether there is a difference between a distribution from the trust being capital rather than income. Is a capital distribution that goes to a SMSF treated as special income and taxed at 47%?
    If the capital is distributed to an individual beneficiary, it is subject to capital gains tax, at their tax rate for that year. Is there a tax advantage by having the capital go into the SMSF instead?

Again, I would be most thankful for help.

Mark

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Capital gains are taxed when received by an individual from a tax, but capital distributions are not (unless it triggers a CGT event such as selling a house). See s 99B(2)(a) ITAA36

Distributing to a SMSF would be taxed depending whether it would be a concessional contribution or non concessional.