Join our investing community

So what is some of the exciting new stuff....

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by Alan, 31st Dec, 2005.

1. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Sim:

"The offer of 6 months complimentary membership on InvestEd for Navra Financial Services clients finishes today - December 31st, 2005.
    If you are a NFS client or have attended one of Steve’s 2 day Optimising Investment Structures courses - then you should take the opportunity to sign up now.

Don’t miss out - there’s a lot of exciting new stuff happening on InvestEd early next year! "

So what is some of the exciting new stuff Sim?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

All in good time, Alan - don't want to announce anything until it is ready.

3. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

I'll probably sound like a bit of a tightar** with this post but I think the declaration of the end of the 6 months 'free' access to InvestEd by clients of NFS is a bit premature. In my case, I was only informed of the availability of the access via an email note from Steve on 31st August so I really believe there's up to another two months to run. Even Steve's 'join date' is listed as being in August sometime.

A Happy new (prosperous!) year to you all.

4. Simon Hampel

Sorry BSB - you misunderstood.

What is ending is the ability for new members to sign up for 6 months of free access.

All members who have signed up already continue with their membership for the 6 months they were allocated. For example, anyone who signed up yesterday will have a membership that expires at the end of June 2006.

Hope this clears that up !!!

5. BSB

BSB Well-Known Member

NOW I understand! Thanks for the clarification Sim. My apologies if i sounded a bit narky.

6. Simon Hampel

No problems - I would be narky too if I'd just been told that my 6 months turned out to be about 4 !! :D

7. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Being able to run one of Steve's courses over the web would be an exciting feature for InvestEd ??? :D

8. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Hi Sim,

Are we able to get timeframes for the rest of the LOE series?

Thanks!

9. Simon Hampel

Current plans (assuming the editing / reviewing process goes okay) are to have part 4 available by the end of Feb, and part 5 (which is still being written!) by the end of March. I wish Steve wouldn't write so much - they take ages to edit !! :D

10. Simon Hampel

Yeah, that's something I've been thinking about. Will depend on Steve to a degree whether he is willing to offer the material in this form. The main problem is that the courses are very interactive by design - complex topic, so always lots of questions ... anything other than face-to-face would need to be supplemented with a mechanism for Q&As.

Interestingly, the two subjects I'm doing this year for my Masters of Education in Adult Education are on e-Learning systems, so I might have to use InvestEd as a test case for trialing some of the techniques! :D

11. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Upcoming features for InvestEd ?

Hi Sim, would be good to have a post or section that detailed the upcoming features and artices on the site. I know the home page show's the upcoming articles, but there's only one listed for the future? :D
    Just think it would be good for the paying members to get a feel for any plans... Myself and the other InvestEd members (I'm sure) are excited about all theses investing subjects and have a thirst that needs quenching.

12. Simon Hampel

Hi jscott, at the moment I'm deep in the process of totally rebuilding the site from scratch - so I'm holding off any "announcements" until that process is all finished and running smoothly. Then we can start to look at future plans and such.

One of the main things that will happen is a complete change to the way articles are delivered. The idea here is to make it quicker and easier to publish articles, with a goal to have more content published more frequently. At the moment, the process we put in place is very time consuming and prone to bottlenecks - it does produce what I consider to be very good quality material - but at the expense of taking far too long to produce it.

I've been working pretty much non-stop for the last 3 weeks on the site redesign (actually took this afternoon/evening off to go to the cricket with my wife - fantastic batting by the Aussies !!). I expect it will take me a couple more weeks to get it all finished and tested, but then we'll be good to go and I'll be focussing more on getting the new features up and running.

In the meantime - keep telling us what you want, so that we have plenty of extra ideas for things to work on beyond what we are already planning.

13. jscott

jscott Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim, that was a damn quick response - I only just hit submit, then refreshed and your response was already there...
    Didn't realise that you were totally re-building the site... Whats wrong with it currently. I actually really like the lay out. Maybe get rid of the blurb at the top of the home page which I guess is really only for people that have never seen the site before.

14. Simon Hampel

When I first built the site I had a choice. Build it based on the versions of software I had available at the time (vBulletin v3.0.x), or use an early beta release of the new vBulletin v3.5.x ... I decided for the sake of sanity (and reliability) to go with the older version.

In the 6 months or so since then, several new versions of all the software I've been using have been released. I recently attempted to upgrade just the forums to the new version, but it got very messy given that vBulletin was significantly changed in structure between v3.0 and v3.5. All of the "hacks" and extensions that I had used in the original version no longer worked and required a lot of work to get them running again. So I gave up on that after about 4 hours of work and reverted to the backup I took before starting - then went away to think about it some more.

As I investigated just what had changed in the new version and how it was structured - I realised there was more I could do with it now - more along the lines of what I had originally intended, but discarded as being "too hard" before. In fact, I'm really pleased how easy it's all come together now with these latest versions (I'm not just using vBulletin - there's other pieces to the puzzle too) - and things are integrating far better than I had hoped ... so I decided to redo it all.

The new version is going to be much easier for me to maintain, has far more features, and will be much easier to upgrade in the future when new versions of the underlying software are released.

Most of what has been done won't really be seen by you as members - it's all under the covers stuff (as Nigel once said - it's like an iceberg ... 80% of it is "underwater" and you only see the top bit). However, I have taken the opportunity to redesign the look-and-feel of the site at the same time - to make it much cleaner, simpler, and more colourful. We also have a new logo coming too!

My next task is to re-do the forum skin, make it more usable ... there's a few things about the current design that I just don't like and regret implementing. I'm hoping to make the new version a bit more intuitive and have it cleaner and simpler visually.

I also needed to rearchitect the site ready for some of the other features we are considering for the future - I can't go into details about them yet (mostly because we haven't finished planning that stuff yet) - but the new site will be much easier to extend and add new features to.

I'm really quite excited about the new site - and I really think you'll like it.

My goal is to have it all up and running by the end of February if I can!

15. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Will we see kudos?

And a simple kinda one click way to view our previous posts in the User CP area?

16. Simon Hampel

Try this: http://www.invested.com.au/forums/search.php?do=finduser&u=162 :D

There is a link on every post you make - click on your username and then click on "find more posts by Glebe" to see more. Alternatively you can find the same link in the members area, or in your public profile. You can get to your public profile quickly through the Quick Links menu at the top of the page. I could easily add a link to the Quick Links menu to show you all your previous posts as well - that might make it easier.

As for kudos - that's unlikely to happen. The board of directors is divided as to whether we should or shouldn't add this feature, with the "against" currently in the majority. We are planning a post-of-the-month type feature which was intended to replace kudos, but we need to build up a larger membership base and higher post volume before we can justify implementing that.

17. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

No worries, thanks Sim'.