So who wants to be average?

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Nigel Ward, 27th Mar, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

According to the front page of the papers Aussies are richer than ever - now worth on average $306,000.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/australia-youre-rolling-in-it/2006/03/26/1143330931464.html

Over the last decade, the average Aussie's wealth has doubled. According to the article it took 35 years for our wealth to double prior to that...interesting

Also interesting to note is the recent rate of growth in our wealth.

So, if that's average, I suspect we're all beating or trying to beat it by a very long stretch :D

How will we maintain the momentum to avoid being average over the next decade? ;)

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I suspect that most of that "wealth" is contained in unrealised capital growth from PPORs, although the number of people who bought IPs in the last boom would have helped the figure a bit too.

The fact that the sharemarket is up strongly for the third year running would also be helping.

What does this mean ? Nobody had to try that hard to build wealth over the last 3 - 5 years ... you just had to be in it. Of course, anyone without investments has had their wealth diminish in real terms over that time.

3. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Nigel,

Yep, aiming to beat it by a long stretch! :D

Only, I'm effectively three people right? Myself, my wife and my new 8 month old dependent. So, if you take my $1M in net worth and divide by three then I'm looking very average indeed... :(

Ah well, I'm only 35 so have a lot of time yet to get ahead of that curve. And my boy's only 8 months and is already average! :p

Cheers,
    Michael.

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Wait until you have three children like me, Michael, then the "millionaire" tag isn't looking as bright! :p

I would like to think that none of us here are average at all. It's all upwards from here on :)

5. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Wife and are only worth $400-odd. This article has taken the wind out of my sails! Maybe that's a good thing...

6. Medine

Medine Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

What can I say?

Another good reason to stay single :D

Cheers, Medine

7. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Amen to that, sister!

Mark

8. Mark Laszczuk

You're only worth $400? Really?

Mark

9. Mark Laszczuk

I have a Net Worth calculator that I pinched from the Microsoft Office website. What I do is key in all the relevant detail at the end of each month, which gives me a dollar figure (obviously). It's nice to be able to watch it rise (albeit by only a couple hundred at this stage though).

Not telling how much I'm actually worth though! The only person who's business that is, is mine!

Mark

10. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Don't be too embarrassed Mark, Glebe is only worth 400 bucks! :rolleyes: ;) :D

MW

11. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

I just tried that one.

You still need t ocalculate every investement manually etc.

I made my own excel spreadsheet that has space for every share or MF with qty held. I just update prices each month and it recalculates it all for me.

Each investment shows the % of my portfolio it represents and I have linked borrowings to each one to show each LVR and also overall LVR. I even have colour coding to show who owns what.

What I would like to do is have it set up so each month each investment and my net worth is charted. At the moment I just rewrite over last months figures.

Anyone able to improve on this for me?

I am happy to share my spreadsheet with anyone - is an amateur attempt at best.

Just email if interested.

12. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but im guessing thats not by choice! :eek:

13. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Now now Leonardo! :eek:

Actually the real financial evil is Divorce isn't it?

MJK :D

14. TechMan

TechMan Well-Known Member

Sorry guys, it was just too tempting!! :D

I would have to agree