Some thoughts on stockmarket investing

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Mark Laszczuk, 16th Jan, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

It's important to understand that diversification is an averaging technique - used to smooth out the returns such that if one asset underperforms, you hopefully will have enough other assets that have performed well to still get a good average return. I'm not saying it's wrong, but it pays to understand what it does.

What it won't do is maximise your returns (the false argument being that if you can invest in enough assets, you'll eventually find one that has stellar returns - wrong!)

It's a risk management strategy, not a wealth strategy.

I'm not saying that wealth strategies should not contain risk management strategies though!

2. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Just want to jump in here and say that my post was NOT about Navra. If it was, it'd be in the Navra section. The only reason the Navra fund was even mentioned is in relation to the discussion itself re: investor attitudes to fund performance and the extensive discussion of said fund in other sections of the forum.

I made it entirely clear that I posted as an investor. Now, as an investor, I personally look at many different options in relation to investing and do a lot of reading and research in my spare time and ask a lot of questions of lots of educated people before making a decision about where to put my money.

Personally I feel, anyone that says 'I don't have time to read/do research'ask questions or I don't understand the lingo' is copping out. Sim is a great example here - he is obviously very time poor - juggling mod duties on at least two forums, running the Small Business and Zoo forums on his own (as far as I know), doing InvestEd business related stuff, working full time AND god knows what else. Yet he STILL finds time to read and do research.

To those of you that don't read/research/etc it really comes down to taking responsibility for your own finances. Yes, most of you have financial planners BUT they are there to guide you, not make all the decisions for you. Kerry Packer didn't sit back and let his advisers make his decisions for him. I urge you all to take a more hands-on approach because ultimately you are the ones that have to live with the decisions that are made.

Mark

3. Tom&Don

Tom&Don Active Member

Wheres the kudos button when you need it.

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

Now you're talking MY language!! :D

Good on ya Mark,
    MW

5. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

Mark

6. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

A lot of people on this forum are hands on type investors and that's why we ask questions and want explanations about the investments we put our money into and persist until we are satisfied and we feel our due diligence has been done. :p

7. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

SNAP !

:D