Join our investing community

Someone please help

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by ramone_johnny, 17th Dec, 2006.

  1. ramone_johnny

    ramone_johnny Well-Known Member

    15th Jun, 2006
    Bris Vegas
    Ive been clicking in circles trying to find property zoning information on the net and havent had any luck. Where the hell should I be looking here? Im basically wanting to know which areas are ok to build townhouses/units in the Brisbane area.

    Every site I seem to visit reads "Call your local council ...blah blah blah"


  2. MichaelWhyte

    MichaelWhyte Well-Known Member

    5th Oct, 2005
    Sydney, NSW

    It is local council that you need to get this information from. Fortunately, my local council has online zoning maps that I can search by street address. So whenever I do a web search on a real estate site I always specify minimum 600m2 then when I like the look of a house I then go to my Pittwater council mapping website and do a search on the address to check the zoning. I turned up a few dual occs that way but ended up buying my MUH instead.

    Unfortunately not all councils are this advanced. You might actually have to make a call once you've shortlisted a few.

  3. Nigel Ward

    Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

    10th Jun, 2005
    Could you just buy a place that already has DA? ;)
  4. Jacque

    Jacque Team InvestEd

    16th Jun, 2005
    Hi Johnny

    You will need to spend a few hours navigating the BCC site and then reading the City Plan policies to know what zoning applies and what you can and can't do. See here:

    Find your property zone - Brisbane City Council

    Talk to a planning officer at council to person and they should be able to get you started on the right path.
  5. TryHard

    TryHard Well-Known Member

    17th Aug, 2005
    Just to chuck in a cent's worth (its not worth the full 2 cents) Brisbane City Council is a very 'special cup of tea'. From memory they are the second largest council in the world, second only to Singapore. With that size comes more than a substantial serve of bureaucracy and confusion. So you'll get the zoning info within 80% accuracy from enquiries you make, but we found it really really worthwhile to engage a private Town Planner to deal with the Council.

    Much like a lawyer or architect, there was a fee that always 'sounds' like a lot, but when you see them part the red sea, it all makes sense. I have stories that will curl your hair, or straighten it, if its already curly, that involve hundreds of thousands of dollars extra expense for seemingly simple projects.

    I won't go into specifics, but if you decide to do a development in the BCC region and have not already done similar projects, PM me, and I'll pass on their details. I guarantee they'll pay for themselves many times over, unless you're ready to 'go postal' at some bureaucrats by going it on ya own. The private town planner is right down to the local detail, unlike many of the 'developers courses' offered ...

    Life is way too short IMHO :)