spouse tax offset + tax exempt scholarship

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by jobeki111, 13th May, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jobeki111

jobeki111 New Member

Hi
    I hope this is the right place in the forum to ask this. My partner is on a tax exempt scholarship at a tertiary institution. I am preparing to do my tax return this year and was going to do it on etax as I have done in previous years but am wondering if i need to go to an accountant for information regarding the dependent spouse tax offset. Has anyone been in this position and know if I claim the full spouse tax offset because her seperate net income is 0 (she hasn't done other work) or if her income despite being tax exempt for her is assessable for me. My understanding based on the ATO supplementary information regarding SNI would be that because the scholarship is for a student and not from a government organisation that her scholarship should not be assessable under SNI but would appreciate if anyone has been in this situation? I rang the tax office last year but got someone that said it wasn't assessable but they didn't really sound like they had a clue. Should i just go see an accountant or ask for a private ruling from the tax office or at least an oral ruling?
    Any help would be much appreciated