Starting Early

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by deroosy, 15th Oct, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. deroosy

deroosy New Member

Hi Folks,

I'm currently a first year university student studying a B.Comm (Financial Planning) at Griffith University.

After completing a few introductory Finance subjects at uni, I've become extremely interested in the Financial Markets and Investing. I'd love to establish my own portfolio in order to gain some exposure to the Financial sector and build my wealth. However, being so young, my financial resources are somewhat limited.

So my question is this:

Being eighteen, and being very new to the Finance Industry, what is my best investment option? I have approximately $1000 to invest initially, with another $100-$150 disposable income per week from working at an Accounting firm. I'm looking at something relatively high risk to start with.

I've had a look at a Perpetual managed fund, which would allow me to invest an initial $1000 and make regular contributions to the fund. Is this a good option, or do I have too little to invest into a managed fund and make a half-decent return?

I have also considered opening a CommSec Account (or something similar) and managing my own fund. I think this would provide great exposure to the Financial Markets (allowing me to conduct research, etc.), although is it impractical for an investor of my size?

Thanks in advance :D

Deroosy

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi deroosy,

I guess I have to say that the best investment you can make is in an education.

Is your investment purpose to sit in a fund and make money or, to get experience from buying and selling?

Johny. :)

3. deroosy

deroosy New Member

In what way, Johny? I'm already completing a Finance Degree at University.

My main objective is to grow my portfolio, in order to invest in bigger and better things down the track. However, obviously any investment I make will be a learning experience of some type, which is an added bonus.

4. Johny_come_lately

Last I heard Ubank was 6.51%. Pop your money there until you build $5000 and then invest.

Johny.

5. Johny_come_lately

6. TMK

TMK Member

With $1000 I would personally sign up to an online discount broker and buy a good blue chip stock - low cost, low complexity and liquid.

Good luck!

TMK

7. Johny_come_lately

TMK,

How would you choose which blue chip to buy? Would you use technical or fundamental analysis to time the shares purchase?

Johny.