Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any feedback or knowledge about StarTrader?

The reason I ask is a friend has recently purchased it and is very impressed......so much so that he is looking to upgrade to thier package that does Options as well (I'm a bit concerned as he's never done Options before and is looking at writing Naked Calls etc and will be relying solely on this package for Entry and Exits....however the results he's had over the last few Months with the Share package has enforced his belief in the system.

He informed me that he has made about 25% return so far in seven weeks..

From what he discussed it seemed to be like FoxTrader and several other systems that analyze data and give you a range of shares to choose from that meet the selection criteria

2. Cheeks

Cheeks Member

I would suggest that you should never write naked calls!!!

Sorry I've not heard of StarTrader

3. DaveJ__

DaveJ__ Well-Known Member

??

Unless you know what you are doing! :rolleyes:

4. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Personally, I would prefer to trade CFD's on CMC's Market Maker.
    In the last 6 weeks my account has gone from the initial $1000 - to over $2600 :D
    It could have been 4k more if I didnt stop/loss out of HDR last Thursday - only to see it go from $1.21 up to $2.09 early Monday morning because of a takeover bid by Tollow OIL. :eek: Never mind.
    I find CFD's a great way of trading.
    My strategy is thus -
    Buy approx 8 to 10k worth of a share when the price/rsi looks right (say PDN - its been very nice for me this week) - and set a stop/loss around 3% below what I paid for it.
    To margin in for this share is 5% - so initial cost of 2000 PDN at $4.21 was $421 plus $10 commission (thats all you pay on most trades).
    I move the stop/loss up every day if the price moves upwards.

The thing I love about CFD's are the ability to trade on a share price going down (short) - and they pay you 4% interest as well - to go long (upside) it costs around 8% per day.
    I have so far done 6 trades, with 4 showing varying successes, 1 loss, and 1 even at this point (LHG - lets hope gold keeps going up !!).

At the moment CMC have an offer to join that includes a 2 day course, and $100 rebate in your account. So I just opened a trust account and got those offers (and soon I will close the accound was in mine/my wifes name).

If you want more info, PM me.

5. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Good on you Perky !!:) :) :) :)

Try one day to use Stop and Reverse Technique (SAR) instead of set stop loss.
    Happy Trading !!:D :D

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Have not looked a CFD's (Crazy-Fast Derivatives?)

Though I recall a Forumite called "Still in School" did very well out of them and HomeTraders are into them in a big way now..

They sound interesting though complex..

7. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Thanks Tropo :)
    I will try that , I have given it some thought before but was a little wary of doing it. Defintely will be an option in the future.
    Watching Bloomberg now everyone is in bed , they say US S&P forecast is for 4.1% growth in the next quarter (but interest rates may drop 1st qtr next year in USA ??? ) - so then US $ will probably weeken (not good for Navra US Fund).
    Sometimes I wish I didnt watch the markets so much and do all that crystal ball gazing :( :eek: :D

8. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

"....... they say US S&P forecast is for 4.1% growth in the next quarter (but interest rates may drop 1st qtr next year in USA ??? ) - so then US $ will probably weeken (not good for Navra US Fund).
    Sometimes I wish I didnt watch the markets so much and do all that crystal ball gazing "

We'll see what happens in few months.
    Dow is bullish right now. Problem is still with XJO (unable to break out of its trading range).
    Yep...over watching the Market is sometimes very destructive. Try to avoid this if you can. :p