Join our investing community

Stay in London or return to Australia??

Discussion in 'The Economy' started by Ems, 13th Nov, 2008.

1. Ems

Ems Member

Hi,

My husband and I are in a predicament at the moment. We left Australia for the UK over a month ago and are finding it extremely difficult finding work here in London. Hubby has bits here and there but nothing concrete and I have had no luck at all. I work in the finance sector and London has been hit hard in this sector.

I know you guys can't tell us what to do but were considering coming back to Aus and my husband is thinking of heading out to the mines to work (probably Perth). He is a qualified welder. Doe's anyone know if companies are still employing or has it come to a standstill like here in London?

Unemployment has hot nearly 2 mill here and I can't see it improving in the near future plus London is such an expensive place to be without a job and depressing too.

Ems

2. Billv

Billv Getting there

ems

Australia is not in that situation (yet) but fear has taken over and some companies have made redundant unnecessary staff and are not employing new ones.

This applies to the mines as well.
    Having said that, the banking sector should be busier as more people will get loans and the infrastructure and resources sectors are expected to have increased activity in the next 12 months but people have to manage until then.

Unemployment is still low though and there is always centrelink.
    Moving between countries is expensive, I'd stay and try harder to find a job.

good luck

3. Ems

Ems Member

Your probably right BV....

It's just frustrating that we both left secure jobs to come here and my job is still there if I want it, obviously it won't stick around for ever....

Were very tempted to come back.......$2500 isn't alot when there's a perfectly good job there for me.....

Serious thinking to do in the next few days.

Cheers
    Ems

4. Billv

Billv Getting there

If you run into financial trouble or you need to come back but don't have the funds give our embassy a call and they could probably assist .

In fact it probably wouldn't hurt to call them in case they have some jobs
    or if they know of any OZ affiliated companies looking for staff

cheers

5. bennymarsh

bennymarsh Well-Known Member

I've still got a few recruiters chasing me, so it can't be too bad in the financial services industry. But for example i know NSW government has put a freeze on hiring staff to reduce their wages bill. That sort of "decline" in employment will put fear into the market and other companies will avoid employing new staff.

It's a difficult time, are we heading for a recession or are things ok in Oz?

But i have been hearing things are terrible in UK on the job market.