Join our investing community

Steve Navra

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by Simon Hampel, 20th Mar, 2007.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Just to let you all know and to prevent speculation - I need to announce that Steve Navra has decided he can no longer afford to be posting in an open forum about his businesses - he has decided it is potentially damaging to do so, and will refrain from further posting or involvement with InvestEd.

This is very sudden and unexpected - but will have relatively little impact on the continued operation of InvestEd (we have been operating quite well without regular input from Steve so far - so nothing has changed !!).

The remaining four founders are still very committed to continuing the great work we've already started with InvestEd - and so for now it will be business as usual.

There are a lot of new features and plans still in the pipeline, and a change in my own personal circumstances this year will hopefully provide me with the opportunity to complete a lot of these tasks for the benefit of our rapidly growing community. I look forward to doing so.

Steve will no longer be posting - so please don't post here asking for feedback from Steve - and Steve has also requested that people refrain from requesting he return.

If you would like to discuss investing strategies with Steve, please contact him via Navra Financial Services and if you have questions about the managed funds, please contact NavraInvest.

So let's all move on and get to discussing investing - which is why we are all here anyway.

2. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Well-Known Member

Thanks for filling us in Sim. This is sad but I'm sure we'll move on.

PS. I guess no LOE 5 :(

3. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

This is unfortunate, however, InvestEd seems to have progressed very well without Steve's contributions for a considerable time.

Thanks for the timely (and to the point) notice.

Cheers,

Steve P

4. Alan

Alan Well-Known Member

Yes.......that's a real shame. :(

The Site is continuing to grow and evolve though and it's a credit to the remaining 'Founders' ongoing efforts.

Thanks again for all the commitment......

5. iiinvestor

iiinvestor Well-Known Member

This may be a given, but is the InvestEd event cancelled?

Also, just curious, who are these remaining founders? I would guess: Sim, Nigel, Jacque and... ummm... maybe Nick M?

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Steve was inviting some of his own clients along too - so he will still be running it. He told me he was happy for anyone to attend still - so the invitation stands.

Yup ... http://www.invested.com.au/about

7. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

That's poor form...

8. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

Being fairly new to this forum, I dont have the emotional attachment (whether it be love or hate) that many here seem to have for Steve N. It has always amazed me that people seem to place much more interest in his fund simply because they see his name on a forum, many more people would be invested in the Colonial funds, yet we hardly hear a peep about any of these which is interesting (not negative, not positive, just interesting).

I have found Steve's material on this website to be extremely interesting, and is the reason I found this forum in the first place. He seems to be a very smart guy with a capacity to think outside the box, and to run a successful managed fund is a testament to this.

Having said that it is a little disappointing that someone like him would get so offended that he would take his bat and ball and go home. I agree with his comments that some people here seem to EXPECT him to report and post, rather than appreciate when he does. However, as a financial planner who gets paid commissions for the products that he recommends surely he would be used to and expect a little bit of caution from people. Like everyone selling something, there is a possible conflict of interest that people tend to be quite wary about. This is not to suggest that he would take advantage of anyone, but the possible conflict is still there no matter how pure and noble his intentions (thats just the way it is). Add to that an investment recommendation in an asset class that has a very shaky history, and not to expect some questions and comments is a little naive. Like any good salesperson knows, the trick is simply overcoming people's objections, and dropping a bit of information and getting upset when people discuss it and voice their opinions and concerns is not the best way to do that. Add again to this the fact that I have not seen a post from him in some time and the first time he posts is to do a product presentation and you can easily see how people might come to certain conclusions.

I for one was quite interested in the recent idea he presented, and quite enjoyed seeing other people's viewpoints, criticisms, and questions in hopes that among a group of intelligent people we could individually form a conclusion that might be better than if we did it on our own.

It is a touch disappointing that he decided to walk on the forum, however we dont know what stresses he might be under in his own life - I imagine it is a high pressure industry he is in, having to balance a whole range of things with a lot of people nagging at you about everything. Plus he is getting married again which could add even more stress (hopefully not negative stress, but its all stress!).

At the end of the day though, I think this is a pretty good forum, with the d***head per capita being much much lower than certain other forums. Although we may all be at different stages, have different goals, different ideas on how to best achive things, more aggressive or more meek ways of putting our ideas forward, I really think that there is a decent mix of people on here, and appreciate everyone's input whether I happen to agree with it or not.

Sim: your work on the board is appreciated as well.

9. unthreaded

unthreaded Active Member

Likewise !

10. Jenny

Jenny Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim for being so clear.

Jenny

11. DaveJ

DaveJ Well-Known Member

Very unfortunate..... Would have been good to see the final chapter 'of the argument'.

Oh well, all promises :(

DaveJ

12. pudsa

pudsa Well-Known Member

Looks like I might be a bit 'contrarian'. However I think Steve has made a wise and inevitable decision. The Navra funds receive a very high level of scrutiny and discussion on this forum, many times more than other funds and I do not feel that this level of discussion is always to the fund's benefit. Equally, posts by Steve Navra receive a similiar, if not higher, level of scrutiny and discussion. Some of the discussion is positive some negative some informed and some uninformed however be that as it may this is still an open forum and people are entitled to express their opinion. The upshot is that I feel Steve is placed in the position of providing 'defacto' financial advice via this forum not all of which is understood and much of which requires further explaination and discussion before it should be acted on. I can understand why he might feel there is a potential conflict of interest, possible legal ramifications and also that he is not doing himself any favours. Hence his decision to discontinue his association with InvestEd comes as no surprise, in fact I am surprised he had his recent posting plurge of the last week or so.

The above is obviously my opinion only, I have met Steve Navra and do invest in Navra Funds however I do not know him particularly well and have no axe to grind with my comments above.
    Cheers :)

13. pudsa

pudsa Well-Known Member

Further to my comments above if Sim or one of the other principals of InvestEd (or anyone for that matter - Warren Buffet are you busy??) were to pick Steve Navra's brains and post LOE 5 it would be greatly appreciated dare I say even read with interest! :D

14. MrDarcy

MrDarcy Well-Known Member

It would be a brave person to post their opinion of LOE :eek: , very brave :D

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2007
  15. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Team InvestEd

Without promising anything (or heaven forbid being predictive :D ) rounding out our most popular series of articles is near the top of our to do list. We'll liaise with Steve and see what we can do ;)

After all, we could hardly leave this page-turner unfinished...

Cheers
    N.

16. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Well life is too short not to say what you think.

I have a personal interest in hearing Steve Navra's thoughts as it was he who introduced us with great clarity to the process of managed wealth creation. I would have to say as far as axes to grind one way or the other I am a 'fan' of the Navra way.

However, posting to promote something he's selling, then retreating from the forum, is exactly what happened over at the 'other one' - where, as mentioned, the d.h per capita is far greater (and I speak knowledgeably being a bit of a d.h myself ;-) ).

I used to stick up for Steve and say he was obviously too busy to be loitering around such forums. Anyway, InvestEd has come along quite nicely with very little help from Steve, except I gather a fair number of us were introduced to InvestEd by him, I know I was.

I agree with Glebe and think this whole thing was poor form - he should have just stayed away, and from now on, he is obviously going to.

Despite my shareholding and unitholdings in Navra Invest I personally think the dedicated thread about Navra Invest shouldn't be included on InvestEd anymore - it just generates unnecessary focus on something that can't result in any more certainty than discussions about any of the other investment options. Fair's fair - if InvestEd doesn't warrant any of NI's attention then the reciprocal should apply.

Right, I feel better after that bleat. Have a nice day :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Mar, 2007