strategy for income

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Triu, 20th Sep, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Triu

Triu Well-Known Member

Hi can anyone advise what would be the best way to invest for income trading shares or options with leveraged margins. What does anyone think?

thanks

2. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

If you had the ability to do either , you wouldn't need to ask the question.
    Most people who trade shares don't make money. Adding in leveraging will just help yo loose quicker.

To start trading shares is a long term investment in your education. Don't expect to make money any time soon.

The people who make money are the ones who loose , but catch the share bug and persist until they learn how to make money .

See Change

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I have a significant holding in the NavraInvest funds for this purpose - they have paid 15%+ income in recent years (no guarantees that will continue of course).

You might also like to check out the Living on Equity series of articles for some ideas on how to live off the growth in your portfolio rather than the income.

The main question that needs to be answered first of course is ... what is your reason for wanting to "invest for income" ? What is you goal in doing so ?

4. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Great advice guys :)

5. rambada

rambada Well-Known Member

No background in this but what about covered calls or 'buy write' as its sometimes refered to. Has anyone used this as an income stream? I believe this is a part of Peter Spanns income strategy.
    I have heard negative comments but it seems to be because people have to sell the underlying shares. But if the strategy is used purely to produce income from the call fee and if the shares go then to bad so sad (you've made money anyway), I cant see a problem.
    Thoughts anyone?

6. Cheeks

Cheeks Member

I'm currently writing covered calls on US stock.

I've only been writing for 2 months now so I'm no expert. First month was not a full month (loss of time value) and I achieved 2.7%, this month I'm looking at 4.9% if I'm not exercised and slightly less if I'm exercised due to brokerage costs.

I’m going to be making a big effort to make covered call writing work for me as a means of increasing my income.

This is purely a method of creating income for me so I'm not concerned about loss of potential capital growth.

I have no concerns about being fully exercised on all my stock at the end of the month as long as I has made my % (aim is to make 3% per month).

7. Nigel Ward

Nigel Ward Well-Known Member

Cheeks sounds very interesting. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Are you able to elaborate a bit on your strategy for picking the appropriate options to write?

Cheers
    N.

8. Cheeks

Cheeks Member

I pick stock and covered calls under the following rules:

1) Scouter rating of 7 or above (I prefer 9 or 10).
    2) Yield greater than 3% after brokerage costs per contract
    3) Stock trend must be sideways for 2-3 months as a minimum. Stock trend can be up but it has to be sustainable.
    4) I look for levels of support in the stock price to determine if I'm buying at the right price.

I work out my break even (stock price - premium) and I work out my stop loss (break even *0.95).

You can get the scouter rating from
    H-SPHERE

And I use google finance to determine the trend of the stock and get news updates.

Rules 1 and 2 are fix and rule 3 is very much on your own opinion about the stock.

It's not complex at all, the hardest thing is getting started :)

I seem to be spending around 2hrs working on it on the first day of the month (I'm a little slow) and then about 1min everyday checking my email update on my stock prices (very little time for a good return).

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Cheeks is that for US of A Stocks only ?

10. Cheeks

Cheeks Member

Yes, US stocks only.

Stock I have been writting covered calls on are:

BMY (exercised last month)
    QCOM (current)
    IMCL (current)
    FDRY (current)

Not all of these stocks fit my rule 3 but in my opinion they had dropped to a level of support so I felt comfortable buying them, pluse the premium was so good it dropped my breakeven point significantly below the stocks level of support.

I haven't written covered calls on Aus stock.

11. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

Hi guys

I write covered calls on Aussie stock. Its great as an incoime source as long as its done consistently.

My methods a little different to Cheeks.

Cheers

Oscar :)

12. Cheeks

Cheeks Member

Care to elaborate on your method :)

What is your monthly return?

What stocks do you write CC on?

13. OC1

OC1 Well-Known Member

The stock has to be trending up or sideways at worst

Minimum 2.5% return. I leverage this with instalment warrants to 5%.

Has to be a liquid (the option contract)

I look at TA and make sure there is no major overhead resistence when opening a new position. I usually write the option 1 strike price out.

Cheers

Oscar :)