Structure for trading super

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Dr Lobster, 25th Feb, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

I have a super fund with approx $100k. I would like to have some of this invested in mgd funds and I would like to trade a portion of it.

Is it necessary to create an smsf to achieve this or is there another structure like a wrap account that is applicable to super funds ?

2. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Hi Doc
    My understanding is that you can use a wrap account for selecting managed funds within a range of products (depending on the wrap service) SOme also have a share platform, however i dont think too many would allow you to trade as such on a day to day basis. will depend on the frequency of the transactions.

WIth a SMSF you can certainly do all these things provided your trust deed allows for it & your investment strategy fits.

Nick M

3. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

Carrying on a business of share trading - Fact Sheet

Just something to be aware of, you cannot run a business through a super fund. The chances of anyone doing anything about it may be slim, but it is something to keep in mind as I am sure you will need to operate through a SMSF and if the ATO comes knocking you need to make sure that you have at least considered the business issue.