Join our investing community

Subscribing to a thread

Discussion in 'Help & Feedback' started by TryHard, 18th Aug, 2005.

1. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Hey Sim'

Is it possible to set the forum so that a poster is automatically subscribed to a thread via "Instant Email Notification" or at least one of the notification types (ie. optional to unsubscribe) so the default is that an email is sent each time a post is made ? I thought it would remind me and others and encourage the most up to date exchange - I find I generally forget to subscribe ?

Might be a stoopid question
    Ta
    Carl

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Yes it is possible to do this yourself !

Go to User CP -> Edit Options -> Messaging & Notification -> Default Thread Subscription Mode ... and set that to "Instant Email Notification" ... thus you will be automatically notified about posts in the threads you have posted in.

If you actually want to have notifications for threads you haven't posted in too - you need to subscribe to each of the forums you want notifications about ... go to the forum topic you are interested in (eg. Shares and Managed Funds) and look for the "Forum Tools" option over at the right hand side of the forum title bar (next to the "search this forum" option. You can subscribe to that forum from there.

As for turning subscription on by default for everyone - not a chance ... although I take your point about why this might be nice - it's actually very annoying for people who don't actually want to get emails every time someone posts.

3. TryHard

Ah I see

There ya go - easy when you know how ! Ta :)

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

I'll make sure it goes in the FAQs.

5. Here_To_Learn

Here_To_Learn Well-Known Member

It seems the instant email notification does not work for the thread that I start.

Any ideas why ?

6. TryHard

Me too

Yeah I must admit I have noticed that some don't come thru to me when I log back in here and notice someone replied to me but I has missed it.

But then I got your notification you had replied to this one.

I checked spam filters etc to make sure they weren't stuck somewhere.

Only seems to be since I changed my profile to always send instant email notification as the default, but I might be dreamin'. Strange though, because the notification for THIS thread, I selected manually before I changed my USER CP preferences ... maybe that's a clue Sim'. ?

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Sep, 2005