Suggestions on paying the interest borrowed to invest

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by bonkerrs, 23rd Jan, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bonkerrs

bonkerrs Active Member

I am wanting to borrow money from the bank to start an investment portfolio. To do this I'm after some ideas on how I can repay the interest without digging into my limited savings. If this is possible.

Lets say I borrow $100k at a rate of 6.5%. I would need to cough up $6,500 p.a to meet the interest repayments. I am looking to invest long term so there wouldn't be any return derived from the $100k for a few years. I'm only wanting to do this if there isn't an impact of $6,500 out of my pocket every year.

My understanding (or misunderstanding): If the interest is tax deductible after completing my tax return should I receive the $6,500 in deductions? If so, I could put that aside to pay the interest in the following years. So I would just have to afford the first year's interest?

I apologise if this may come across as a stupid idea (or it may be possible), at the moment I don't know.

Been thinking about this for awhile so here it is, hoping to get some advice.

More info: If I go ahead I will be investing through a discretionary family trust.

Thanks!