SUPA fund investments

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by raringsunny, 14th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. raringsunny

raringsunny New Member

My question is about how Superannuation investments work. My current contributions are going towards a specific fund (investment option - that’s moderate) with a breakdown of 30% in stocks and ~40% in international stocks. Irrespective of the breakdown, I want to know if I change the composition of this breakdown, the investments that are done up until now, will those remain as-is?

So if say for e.g. $10k was in international stocks, when I change the composition to have it invested somewhere else, will it also invest this $10k in the new option that I choose or will it continue to sit in the same international stock?

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

welcome to InvestChat ,

just to understand you correctly ...

do you want the existing investments to remain ( not be sold down ) and NEW investment cash placements to follow a new ratio ???

since this is a formal super fund ( some have had a LOT of bad press recently ) check and see if this change entails any extra fees and charges .,

the chances are you will have to contact your super fund directly and ask the question(s )

cheers

3. twisted strategies

please note some ASX listed stocks could arguably classed as 'international stocks ' as they generate a fair share of revenue from international sources ( shares like BHP , MQG , CSL , URW VUK , JHG and several others ) this could get you the best of both worlds

( DYOR )

4. raringsunny

raringsunny New Member

Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I’m trying to understand that the existing funds invested by the superannuation fund managers - will those change when I change the ratios or mix of investments effective today? Or will the funds invested so far continue to remain as-is invested per the current plan?

Hope this clarifies.

2 people like this.
  5. raringsunny

raringsunny New Member

Yes and I will check with them if the change in the investment mix entails any fees or charges.

2 people like this.
  6. twisted strategies

one option is to nave a seperate investment portfolio ( maybe SMSF if the new rules allow it )

and tweak and bias however you like ( the main reason i avoided a formal super fund )

although i am no huge fan of INTERNATIONAL focused ETFs there is a variety of them now for the price of standard brokerage ( if buying Australian domiciled ETFs ) and LICs should not be overlooked some are worth the extra fees ( imo )

if you go for the 'two fund option' you can just put in the compulsory contributions and keep that steady as it goes , and invest the extra in the new fund ( when you wish to )