Super Contributions

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by shouldisell, 13th Jun, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. shouldisell

shouldisell Well-Known Member

I just set up a super fund, and when it comes to setting up regular contributions I came across this:

Because I hold an ABN, and am self employed. Can my business make contributions for me?
    Is there any benefits here, or something I should know?

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Compleks,

The business can make a contribution and claim it as an expense for tax purposes. The contribution is taxed at 15% versus the company tax rate of 30%. There is a benefit of 15%, though the money is locked in superannuation until you meet a condition of release which depending on your age could be a while.

Cheers,

Dan

PS Before making an investment decision speak to an FPA registered Financial Planner.

3. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

your business is required to pay you 9% super.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Not necessarily - he doesn't have to take the money as salary ... the business could pay him dividends instead.

5. Rob G

Rob G Well-Known Member

You cannot employ yourself !!!

Therefore sole traders and partners make tax deductible contributions IN THEIR OWN NAMES (provided less than 10% of gross assessable income in a year is from employment).

So if you don't have a company/trust that employs you then don't claim it as a business deduction, but in your personal return.

Cheers,

Rob

6. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

either way, people who are self employed and don't pay their super, they are silly.

I know someone who used to earn big dollars, thought he was smart by not needing to spend 9% on super, and today he has nothing in his super, and a failed business...

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.