Surely the bull market is going to end soon.. with pain..

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Glebe, 17th May, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Well-Known Member

Just curious, you note $50k in cash, but have at least a $few hundred k as redraw. Would that not also count this as cash ?

I have no cash in the bank as such, all spare money goes into loans (PPOR first of course) so that's my "cash" waiting to be redrawn if required.

2. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Hi Rod,

Since you asked I will tell you " so that you can buy them later for less"

Also, I am surprised you've left your super in INTL shares
    when it wouldn't have costed you anything to switch to something less volatile.

Additionaly, it seems like you've taken money from your PPOR's LOC to buy shares. A strategy which under normal circumstances is ok but today could be considered risky as you could lose the equity of your PPOR.

So to summarise things as I see it you've left yourself exposed in 2 areas and you've only got $50K cash when you could have been cashing in and waiting to buy some good stocks at a better price.
    Can you access the equity from your Ip?

Btw, I am not critisising you, there is nothing wrong doing it your way, but I would have done things differently.

IMHO

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: 15th Mar, 2008
  3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Hi BV

Its impossible to pick where the bottom of the Market (or a Company) is going to be as well isn't it; though it always seems to drop faster than it rises ;)

With the Market being so volatile of late,buying back in on percieved rises could you see you being stopped out again and I'm sure with recent drops a lot of stop-losses would've been triggered across whole portfolio's (that and Margin Loan calls adding to the mess)?

Are you suggesting cash out and wait for a continued rise or going short with CFD's or some alternate strategy?

How about some of the long-term investors holding Blue-Chips for the last 10-15+ years, what are the implications of selling some of their quality shares there?

I've been using the recent drops to buy back into some quality blue-chip companies and lamenting the fact I didn't shut the door faster on a few speccies :(

new motto may well be ala Buffet

Be FEARFUL when others are GREEDY and GREEDY when others are FEARFUL

Now may be the time to get Rich....?

4. BillV

BillV Well-Known Member

Actually It could be but we need to have cash.

We are sometimes fearful of selling when we have suffered losses
    but locking in losses is also important because they can offset future capital gains.

Can we not sell on a good day to lock in our losses and to buy again on a bad day and make a small profit as well?

Some stocks go down between 2 & 5% on a bad day and go up 5% on a good day...:D

Cheers

5. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Perky over what period do you get this 6% figure, and what is this significance of this time period for an investor?

I'm 100% ahead of the ASX over a similar time as I was in cash.

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Is it a case of "pass the parcel" in the US as these mortgages become due and institutions realise who holds what?

Is there more pain due..$100 Billion, $200 Billion..how about a Trillion?

I had heard that last year 2% of loans were forclosed in the US, 1% the year before; next year who knows

Sitting on the bench watching a free for all is looking better and better, can't really understand the whole situation myself.....our interest rates go up as its more expensive to get money on the international markets,yet, US rates go down[​IMG]

Some smart investor always makes a profit though..

Article

7. crc_error

crc_error The Rule of 72

isn't there a old jewish proverb? 1/3 property 1/3 bussiness 1/3 cash?

8. perky

perky Well-Known Member

It was at the presentation that Steve showed they were ahead by that amount for 1/ The Financial year , and 2/For the 12 months ending Jan 31st.
    I know its easy to manipulate the figures to suit yourself though...

9. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

It's easy to do perhaps, but easy to check also.

I've done the work before, I think the fairest benchmark is just to compare it with STW over a longer time frame, it's the best vehicle I know of capturing the CG 'and' dividends from the ASX200. Plot the ASX and STW data dividend adjusted over several years and have a gander, you are bound to learn something.

It's a bit of a silly idea (for the investor) imo to benchmark yourself against the ASX200 and not the accumulation index, I can design a strategy for you in five seconds that will outperform your benchmark by around 4% if that's what you want.. Simply plug the money in an index fund and go on holidays.. Voila!

If someone was investing in residential property for you and said that you get to keep the CG but not the rents... that wouldn't suit.

10. tropic

tropic Well-Known Member

I am like Rod_WA still holding my stocks. My intention always been investing for long term. No margin loan but have LOC.
    I am confident that they will bounce back and break previous record highs. When? I don't know.
    I hope they will find the base soon although I feel they will be more bad news.
    It's difficult to see my portfolio goes down on daily basis.
    I hope I will be rewarded for my patience. The damage has been mostly done and if I sell now I bet they will go up.
    Also if I were to make mistake I prefer because I am following what I believe.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.