Join our investing community

Tafe Or Kaplan

Discussion in 'Financial Planning Study Group' started by johnluo721, 9th Feb, 2009.

1. johnluo721

johnluo721 Active Member

hi, this is a really good forum.
    I want study financial planning course. I noticed TAFE offer this course as well, it looks pretty easy and easy to pass. Lecture also give exemption if complete similar subject previously. unlucky, there is no vacancy there anymore. headteacher put down my name on the waiting list, and told me he will call if there is vacancy. Kaplan offer flexible study framework, I can complete this course as quick as possible, and it have good reputation in the industry. TAFE is cheap and easy to pass the course.
    so wich one should i chose? should i wait TAFE to call me? DOES employer really care about if is a TAFE OR KAPLAN as far as it is RG146 complied? By the way , what is thee shortest time for me to complete course if i study KAPLAN
    please give me some advice. thanks

2. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi John,

The Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) is easy to pass in both TAFE and Kaplan, it is the same course. Open book exams are reasonably straightforward. Tafe is cheaper, Kaplan is the most industry recognised, as this is a combination of Financial Planning Association and Financial Services Institute of Australasia (which are both the most respected financial planning and financial services membership bodies in Australia).

The course is standardised under the AQF, other education providers can be found here http://www.asic.gov.au/eTraining/eTrain.nsf which are RG146 compliant.

Kaplan usually take around 3 weeks to mark assignments, once you complete the assignment you can book the exam. Theoretically, you could knock each subject off in 1 month. Realistically, if your working fulltime it would be a bit tougher and I would suggest 2 to 3 months. So you could knock it off in just over half a year! Depending on how keen you are. If your working in finance, most employers will pay when you pass the subject.

Cheers and good luck,

Daniel

3. johnluo721

johnluo721 Active Member

Thank you, Daniel.
    I proba go with KAPLAN, like you said, it is most respected financial planning body in Australia. And I want chose two subjects first. so which two you recommed?

4. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi John,

I would suggest following the standard sequence of ELC, Risk, Super then Investments for DFS. For ADFS, Tax, Estate Planning, Investments 2 then the Capstone subject.

Cheers,

Dan

5. enem

enem Member

Hi everyone, I am really struggling with the Risk Management DFP2 assignment case studies. I find the information in the questions vague and inadequate. I
    Can anyone please assist me with the case studies. I could really do with some help. Thanks