Tax and Multiple super funds

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Fritz, 26th Mar, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Fritz

Fritz New Member

Hi I'm a newbie here and hoping someone can shed some light on my query,

I have had a BT superwrap account for quite a while. I also have some super tied up in a capital guaranteed rollover fund.

I decided recently to open a SMSF to do some direct Fixed interest and utilize some high yielding CMT accounts.

I have a reasonable amount of money to manage.
    I was thinking to just do managed funds on the BT platform

Then I woke up and wondered about tax consolidation as I never had to really think about it before.

What happens if the BT super Wrap platform makes an overall capital gain for example and the SMSF generates a capital loss on listed securities?

The BT Superwrap does all the reporting for the self contained portfolio and
    the tax reporting for my SMSF is done by the company that set it up.

Does it get offset anywhere ?? with the tax office?

How does this work if at all. I suspect that the answer will be that the tax office will look at them as to seperate entities and the offset capital gain and loss wont take place.

any illumination would be welcome thanks !

2. GavinC

GavinC Active Member

If they are separate super funds then the gains and losses won't get offset. However the losses generated in the smsf will carry forward and be offset against future gains (assuming it makes some).

3. AsxBroker

AsxBroker Well-Known Member

Hi Fritz,

Like GavinC said, your dealing with separate entity's.
    Why do you have multiple accounts?
    Asgard now have Fixed Term Deposits in Investment, Super and Pension services. Approximately 7.5% pa...

Cheers,

Dan

PS Before making an investment decision speak to your FPA registered Financial Planner.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia