Tennis court

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Jacque, 21st Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Has anyone here had one built at all or know the approximate costs of doing so?

And, for those who currently are fortunate enough to own one (I'm still saving! ;) ) what are the downsides?

2. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

Don't have one ourselves, but quite a few in the area. One downside is just like having a boat / caravan etc - you need to use it. Unless you have a ball chucker, they're not much use without somebody else to hit the ball back (a totem tennis pole might be better for solo!).

On the plus side, one a couple of doors up has a great use as a child play area - all fenced in and lots of flat room for the kids to ride their trikes and play in.

S'pose you could also mount a basketball hoop if that floats your boat.

Cheers,

3. MIZBUF

MIZBUF Active Member

It is too long ago when we built ours to give any sort of present day costings . However the costs will increase if you have to do "cut and fill' excavation to level the site. That would also require retaining walls as well if that were required. As to surfaces- the clay surfaces that were used for years do require regular watering and sweeping and some re sanding from time to time. we chose what was then called Mod Grass , (it prob has a different name now) which is synthetic grass which is installed with sand through the grass to bed it down. It requires regular maintenance too . I t is necessary to keep falling organic debris off the surface otherwise this tends to rot down and make the grass look dingy and even slippery. Another tip-- Choose the black posts and wire for the fencing. You might think green is less intrusive but you will find that the black works better. I remember ,because the very tall gal posts do'nt come all ready painted black, the rush we had to paint them before the fencers came. I also remember the tussle we had to obtain permission from Concil to install it. it was initially rejected on grounds of objection from neighbours who all, incidentally, had tennis courts of their own, I managed the Apeal to the land and Environment Court myself and on a site Conference with L& I C officer and Council it was passed!!. This demonstrates my Theory of "The First Law of Developing"-for every Development Application there will be an Objection ,comensurate in vehemence, to the perceived increase in value of the subject developer's assets!

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Thanks Balboa- these are exactly the type of tips I am after!

Hehe Barracuda- I know where you're coming from with the ball "chucker" (though I'm sure they come with a more official sounding name!) - though I am trying to train up my three children to pick up balls for the love of their mother alone :D