Term deposits

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by prashantmorar, 11th Feb, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. prashantmorar

prashantmorar Member

Hey guys

I'm thinking of dropping some cash into a term deposit soon. After checking around i've managed to find a pretty good one in RBonline (rural bank online). The interest rate is healthy and was just wondering whether anyone else has used this bank before?

They dont seem to be mainstream and i'm a bit reluctant to use them without first checking out their credentials.

Cheers

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Hi 13109990

Why are you keen on RBonline? The term deposit market is hotly contested. The major banks will offer special rates if pushed. They won't fold. Remember, the govt guarantee is finished. What rates are RBO offering?

Johny.

3. Mark88

Mark88 Active Member

I am always a bit cautious with the lesser known banks. Commonwealth bank is currently offering an 8 month term deposit at 6.3%. So unless, RBO are offering a term deposit significantly above that, then I probably wouldn't go with them.

4. prashantmorar

prashantmorar Member

Hey guys

Cheers for the input. Rb online is offering 6.8% for 12 months. Im not too fussed on which institution I use as im just shopping for the best rate. I would rather use a more reputable bank for peace of mind.

Johnny: when you say "push the banks", how exactly do i go about doing this?

Mark: yeah, that looks pretty good. I've been exclusively using google to do my research to this point. The websites which compare deposits are quite useful but probably dont list all the information available. Whats the best place to source comparisons?

5. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

The Banks want your custom. If you have significant $$$'s to invest, you just ask "What rates can you give me, if I use your bank." Even a .25% increase is worth it.

If you live in a built up area, pounding the beat is better than google.

Johny.

6. prashantmorar

prashantmorar Member

Yeah, makes sense. I'll try going to my current bank (NAB) and flex my financial muscle a little.

Cheers for that