Join our investing community

The Active Vs Passive Investing Debate

Discussion in 'Investing Strategies' started by twisted strategies, 11th Jan, 2020.

1. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

( DYOR )

i hold both passive ETFs ( bought in 2011 and 2012 ) and active funds ( bought when i beleve they are being unfairly punished , even currently )

i view the time of buying one strategy or the other much more important than which strategy will do better over time

for example WAX bought in September 2011 has doubled it's share price ( bought @ 70c ) and paying reasonable dividends but has done so by taking higher risk , so obviously i didn't buy in heavily

2. twisted strategies

Index Funds vs Mutual Funds vs ETFs [Differences & Similarities]

( DYOR )

i don't mind paying the extra fees if the fund manager is doing the extra effort ( and getting the results when it should be raking in the cash ), active funds have ups and DOWNS compared to the market cycles , say you select a fund that is highly opportunistic it may sit in 40% cash for years , so will under-perform in a bull market but is absolutely worth a dabble when the market is in dire straits

some ETF fees vary markedly for close to idenctical products

PS i am still more heavily biased towards LICs but do hold a range of ETFs

PPS this is NOT an Australian focused article , some tax advice and fees are quite different , you need to watch the differences there as well

3. twisted strategies