The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by quoll, 3rd Jul, 2006.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. APerry

APerry Active Member

Hi All,

I have a business coach. She doesn't cost a lot and I have found her very good in terms of keeping me focussed on working on developing my business. It's very easy to get caught up in day to day things, and I find having someone who holds me accountable to things such as sticking to my marketing plan and coming up with ways to meet my revenue targets etc. is very useful. I have seen the result on the bottom line, which is up substantially since employing her (Kate James is her name by the way).

Regards
    Alistair Perry

2. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hey Alistair,

Reckon you could ask her if she has contacts in other capital cities around Australia. Would be good to have a list of people like that.

Fair dinkum reckon it'd be good to have as a sort of 'Yellow Pages' type section on the site.

Mark

3. APerry

APerry Active Member

Hi Mark,

I'll ask her, I'm seeing her in the next couple of weeks. I know there is an industry body for business coaches and Kate had to go through some sort of apprenticeship scheme before she was recognised by them, so I'm sure she could come up with a few names.

Regards
    Alistair Perry

4. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

An alternative

Join the local Bowls club and get to know the old & bolds - might find a mentor in amongst the troopers and have a good time to boot.

Our local has ex CEO's of AMP and high-court judges....

Cheers,

5. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

LOL - must be a bit dependent on the socio-demo'phic thing Barracuda - I've met the locals at my bowls club and let's just say I wouldn't be implementing too many of their ideas ... I think "show us yer t*ts" might be seen as a strategic change initiative ;-)

6. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

hahaha..........

7. Barracuda

Barracuda Member

:D - Yep - would shake up the corporate world a little.

8. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Business coaches.....

Hmm... I think you really need to ensure that whomever you employ has achieved results for other biz owners and has the testimonials to prove it. I belong to my local Chamber of Commerce as well as a smaller networking group and both contain biz coaches. They seem as common as mortgage brokers at the moment :D
    However, this isn't to say that there's not competent BC's out there. Quite the contrary- as the market becomes more competitive, the poorer ones will have to leave or lift their game.
    I've met one fellow (who, incidentally used to work with Steve Navra- small world!) and who guarantees an improvement in profit of a certain percentage or your money back. He seems genuine and has a plethora of experience so I might end up investigating his offerings one day myself.

9. CN1967

CN1967 New Member

We decided to invest in an Action International coach when setting up our new business. We already had business experience but wanted coaching to help us overcome a couple of week areas.

To cut a long story short we are not happy with what we've had for our money. The coach charges about 3 to 4 times more than the hourly rate of an expensive lawyer or accountant.

We had an initial alignment report, which we did not get back for a couple of weeks and basically all it is is a brief personalised page at the front, then just pages and pages that have obviously just been printed from a standard script and not tailored to our business at all. In fact it's mostly just the same stuff that's in their books.

The coaching sessions have not covered what we wanted to learn about - they haven't followed any kind of structure at all and the main aim just seems to be to sell us more things.

We have one more session before we need to pay another months fees, and we are looking for a tactful way to let this coach down, as she is a nice person but we don't feel that we are benefiting at all.

Coaches may be useful for businesses that are doing badly, but so would a good book.

10. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that CN ... I think if you find a real mentor or network of people that make you aspire to do things better or differently it can be great. But Action International is pretty much a franchise and I can't see how real entrepreneurs would need to buy into Brad Sugars' money making machine in order to provide their skills to business owners.

My worry would be all they'll do is follow the "McDonald's formula" that's proven to work for * them * and not necessarily for you :)

I've still had no joy finding a decent specific business mentor but I do have a circle of close entrepreneurial friends that help a lot, and found even people like a personal trainer (if they have the right attitude) have made me think a bit differently about life and business in general. :p