The in-laws will

Discussion in 'Wills & Estate Planning' started by Bluegum, 26th Sep, 2008.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bluegum

Bluegum Member

My in-laws insist on filling out a hand written "Stat declaration" for a will and get my wife and her brother ( the beneficiaries) to co sign it to agree on the way the estate is divided between them. He insists on doing this way because he is too stingy to pay a solicitor. i have advised my wife to seek legal advise but she does not want to upset her father. I went and got him a legal will kit but he insists on doing it his way. do i have just cause to be concerned?.

2. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

It might pay to enquire at the requisite Govt agency with regards to whether they will recognise a stat dec in lieu of a will. If they do (unlikely) I would say that your worry would be anyone contesting the will. If they don't then it is entirely possible that the Govt will split the assets accordingly to a strict formula and take a bunch of said assets, thank you very much.

How much does he own? I would suggest that you just walk away from the whole mess as there doesn't seem to be much you can do.

Mark

3. Bluegum

Bluegum Member

The in- laws will.

Hi Mark,
    thanks for the reply. After a lot of negotiating i finally talked the in-laws into seeing a solicitor this Thursday and completing a will. What a relief,i had visions of me doing a lot of chasing around and spending a lot of money on my wifes behalf trying to sort a legal minefield.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.