Join our investing community

The InvestEd Echo chamber

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Insight, 9th Oct, 2006.

1. Insight

Insight Brisbane Buyers Agent

Just checked all my posts on this forum, most to do with NI and the Nav fund.

Not that I'm fixated on that, just that it's not the best place to talk about such things on Somersoft and the threads I'm starting over there... Well who wants to read the same thread twice if I post it here?

In the blogosphere you get echo's all the time, one blogger links to this and then 10 more on your RSS list do if it's a good link.

Dear Ms Netiquette,

Is it good netiquette to not be cutting n pasting threads to diff forums? Do you have to have a primary forum?

Your conflused Netizen.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

My personal preference is to not cross-post ... although it does depend a little on the nature of your post.

If you need an answer to a question (especially if it is urgent) which is relevant to multiple forums, then I can forgive cross-posting. I would consider it good form though, if you get a good answer on one forum to post a summary of that answer in the other threads you started, and to link back to the origin of that answer in the other forum.

For general discussions though - I don't think you should cross post.

Somersoft should not be used to discuss anything other than real estate - Jan and Ian made it quite clear that they want to focus only on real estate. So for shares and funds and other types of investment, here is a better place to post.

For real estate posts, that's kind of up to you where you post. I think we have a great depth of knowledgable people in our membership here who are quite capable of answering real estate related questions. What's more, we also have a lot of people who invest in shares and funds (and other assets) who understand how all these asset classes fit together in a portfolio - so this is a good place to discuss that too.

I think you will possibly get a different point of view on real estate questions from some of our members here who are not real-estate-only investors ... so I think it's worth posting here as well ... just perhaps not an exact cut-and-paste in both forums. I know that's not terribly helpful - perhaps you could ask the question in a different way here - might lead to the discussion taking a different path completely - which may be useful.

There are plenty of forums out there dedicated to discussing share trading, so for anything other than an introductory level discussion, or perhaps as part of an overall strategy discussion, I think share trading is possibly best done elsewhere.

That is unless our resident share traders want us to make this a higher focus here too - I have no problem with this, indeed our goals is education, and learning about share trading certainly fits into that arena. I'm more than happy to make a share trading focussed area of the site ... I just can't add much to it directly myself (although Steve has a long history in share trading ... if we can just get him to stop galavanting around the world long enough to contribute :rolleyes: )

I also think that you shouldn't just link directly between forums without any more detail when answering a question that has been cross-posted ... I think it is good form to summarise the post from the other forum, and then provide a link for more detail and context if required. It's all about adding value to the forum you are posting in ... just posting a link doesn't directly add value ... but adding value PLUS posting a link is a good way to do it in my opinion.

Just my thoughts on the topic.

3. TryHard

TryHard Well-Known Member

Having been fortunate enough to enjoy both Somersoft and InvestEd advice and interaction, my view is that somersoft is a sensational forum if you are convinced real estate is the 'be all and end all'. If and when you decide to investigate a balanced portfolio, wealth creation, structuring, succession planning, yadda yadda, then InvestEd is a great place to access similarly knowledgable advice on a wide range of strategies.

I think InvestEd is increasingly less useful for discussing the specifics of Navra Invest and its strategies since Steve and NI representatives time on here is limited or non-existent (however the required info can be sought from NI's own website and from engaging with Steve Navra in seminars as offered) although it is still a great place to critique and question the methodologies used by NI and other funds.

Cheers
    Carl

4. ramone_johnny

ramone_johnny Well-Known Member

What about web business interests and investments? This is an area which I believe is really being overlooked. :mad:

RJ

5. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

We do have a "business investing and ownership" forum, which is a good place for the discussion about web based business - but remember that this is NOT a place for spruiking your own sites - this is about investment education and learning.