Join our investing community

The power of questioning

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jacque, 16th Aug, 2005.

1. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Read this gem in one of my Anthony Robbin's books today and thought it fitting for a new site such as this, where we're all endeavoring to both learn and impart knowledge and share experiences with our fellow investors.
    It just struck a chord with me :)

Questions are the laser of human consciousness. Use their power to cut through any obstacle or challenge.

2. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

Excellent point. I've been using something along the same lines for quite a number of years now, that I heard on a Jello Biafra spoken word album. For those that don't know, Jello Biafra used to sing for SF punk band 'Dead Kennedys' back in the 80's and now does 'spoken word' tours. Anyway, one of the things he said on one of his records was: 'Question Everything'. Been using that (in most cases) ever since. Skepticism can be healthy if used correctly.

Mark

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Co-founder Staff Member

Actually - I don't associate the statement Jacque made with "skepticism" - I associate it with inquisitiveness and learning.

You don't need to disbelieve things people tell you - you just need to learn the truth. A subtle, but important distinction, in my mind.

I know it's just semantics, but I do believe there is a difference.

Too many people go out looking for answers, but I believe that all you need are the right questions. If you aren't getting the answers you are looking for, you aren't asking the right questions!

4. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

Sim,

Good points (as always) and you too Jacque! Now I have a clearer understanding of what you were saying in your original post Jacque. Guess I'll clarify what I mean by 'question everything' and what it means to me. Well, to me it means not taking anything at face value - it might be legit, it might not. But I'm not taking a chance based on what someone tells me.

Of course, it depends on who that 'someone' is. For example, there are a handful of people who I believe at face value (one of whom is a prominent member of htis forum) because they have shown me they are trustworthy and honest. Most of the information that comes my way however, should I choose to investigate further is dealt with, not so much in a 'skeptical' way but just not taken at face value.

Someone pointed out in another post that doing research is essential and I guess for me personally, living by the idea of 'question everything' is merely another way of saying that.

Mark

5. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Exactly :)

6. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Jello Biafra! Awesome!

7. Here_To_Learn

Here_To_Learn Well-Known Member

Can you imagine for a second a world where EVERYONE was honest ? I guess then there would be no reason to question. :eek: