Managed Funds The unofficial Navra performance tracking thread 2

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Mark Leo, 18th Oct, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

I kind of think that is what redrover is suggesting.
    Perhaps you misread something?

2. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Performance Update

Hi Guys,

Might be time for another quick performance update I think...

For those out there that don't yet understand what role the Navra fund sets out to fulfil, I think this update might help. But I'll explain that at the end. Firstly, the facts based on the last six month's performance:

ASX200: -0.18% (-0.36% annualised)
    Navra: +1.04% (+2.08% annualised)
    Navra realised trading profits: +5.5% (+11.0% annualised)

So, we have seen outperformance of the index over the last 6 months, but then again, 2% annualised absolute returns is nothing to write home about. But Steve himself would be the first to admit that Navra's intent is not to generate absolute returns. Its intent is to generate realised trading profits which it will distribute as income to offset the holding costs of growth assets such as IPs. And to that end, it consistently delivers on its stated intent. IMHO, you should consider taking a conservative LVR position to allow for low absolute return periods where 10%+ will still be distributed as income, but if cash flow is your requirement, then you can do a lot worse than using Navra as a set and forget solution for your cash flow needs. It consistently delivers 10%+ pa in distributed income regardless of the direction of the underlying market. The last six months is case in point, whereby the market went backwards, but the DCT methodology still extracted trading profits at a rate greater than 10% pa. And the banks love to see these consistent income distributions when calculating their servicability equations for those IP growth assets!

If you are interested in tax effective growth or absolute returns then Navra might not be for you. But if you are interested in set and forget income and are using other vehicles such as direct residential property for growth, then seriously consider whether Navra can form a key role in your asset structure. Many people have asked me whether, if I had my time over, I would invest in Navra again? And my question remains resolutely: YES! It paid off my PPoR!! :D My situation is such that I no longer require the additional passive income, so I have taken a current bias to growth over income. But that is not to say that everyone's situation is the same as my own at present.

PS I just spoke to Steve himself, and he mentioned that it is shaping up for a 3.0%+ distribution for the final quarter for those waiting in eager anticipation... ;)

Cheers,
    Michael.

3. samaka

samaka Well-Known Member

I wonder what effect today will have on Navra's performance. Thoughts people?

4. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Those numbers above reflect the position AFTER today's trading. I spoke to Steve directly and he shared this info so I thought I'd pass it on to the community here.

Cheers,
    Michael.

5. BSB

BSB Active Member

Thanks for sharing the up-to-the-minute info Michael.

6. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Out if interest..........according to the NavraInvest Site.............

NO......Centro doesn't appear to be a stock in the current NavraInvest Portfolio.

;):D

7. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

Any ideas what % cash is sitting at with the recent turbulence?

8. Bandy

Bandy Member

Timing Conundrum

Was looking to buy additional units in Jan after distribution, but with today's market fun, it may be tempting to buy while the price is lower. Values may not be so good in Jan. Oh decisions, decisions.

9. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

There ya go...DCT Navra ;)

10. lorrimer

lorrimer Well-Known Member

Michael,
    Thanks for sharing that info with us. I was hoping that you would continue to keep us updated on the Navra front despite having sold your own holdings.
    Do you think that the performance has now improved as a result of the recent volatility?
    Also would be very interested to hear how your investment in the Lincoln fund is going?
    Was thinking of moving my LTP funds over into Lincoln, however after todays rout there may
    not be much left!

11. tony__

tony__ Well-Known Member

Hi

I like the the look of Lincoln whereas I don't like the look of AU Prop Sec Growth.

The msn finance site shows that AU Prop Sec Growth held approx 7% (2 largest holding in its portfolio) in Centro.

I note the Au Prop Sec Growth fund has fallen from approx $2.38 to $2.17 in the past few days. And that is before yesterdays blood bath.

Tony

12. Mark Leo

Mark Leo Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Does anyone know if the XJO is the ASX200 accumulation index, or is this index net of dividend distributions?

Also, one for Sim, are you able to put the Dow Jones Industrial Average as one of the index options on your comparefunds.com site? This would help those of us with the Navra US fund track its performance against the index.

Regards,
    Mark Leo.

13. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

No, the XJO is not the accumulation index - so you should (in general) be wary of using this as a comparison index for your investments given it does not take dividends and distributions into account.

Given the context of this thread about Navra - there has been plenty of debate before about whether the ASX200 is an appropriate index for comparison purposes - and I see both sides of the argument. Which index (or other measure) you use as a benchmark for calculating something like performance fees is quite arbitrary - you just need to take that into consideration when assessing whether it is a fair investment.

Overall for comparison purposes, I think it is going to be easier to compare a fund like Navra against an actual index fund (or ETF) - which is a realistic alternative for investing your money as opposed to some theoretical "calculated" index. Naturally, if you do not reinvest distributions, then all comparisons go out the window - you can't accurately compare two funds without reinvesting distributions.

And yes, I will be putting the DJIA and other foreign indicies on my site when I get a chance.

14. Mark Leo

Sim,
    So what is the code for the accumulation index? Is it the XAT - S&P/ASX All Australian 200 Index?
    Mark Leo

15. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Nope - that's a different index.

I'm not sure what the code is - I've seen it referred to as the XJOAI (XJO Accumulation Index). You won't find much information available for free on the web about the accumulation indicies - S&P don't publish the data for free any more - you have to pay a lot of $$ for it.

16. Andrew Allen

Andrew Allen Well-Known Member Business Member

Economagic have the 200 acc index for free. Hasn't been updated for a few months though and is only monthly data. the FinRev publish it, otherwise it's pay up from what I have been able to find.

Economagic Data

17. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

BankSA have now lowered the LVR to 70% on the retail fund.

18. Mark Leo

Thanks Insight. Interesting Bundy...
    Mark Leo.

19. Smartypants

Smartypants Well-Known Member

Ditto, i.e, does anyone have any idea of cash held at moment?

Today may have presented some good buying opportunities (I hope ;))

20. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Hi Smarty.

16.3% as at end of November if that's any help.

Welcome to NavraInvest Limited - Funds Management

With the recent Distribution announcements, has anyone already checked why there is only about 1% for the US Fund? I know I can go and check to see how the exchange rate went for the Quarter and also check the DOW for the same period to see if it was these factors or poor trading performance but I was just wondering if anyone can save me the time. :)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.