Managed Funds The unofficial Navra performance tracking thread

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MichaelW, 20th Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perky

perky Well-Known Member

Come on Simon, wheres the fun in that ?:)

2. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

when I saw Steve in early June, he suggested a minimum of 7%,possibly more depending on how the fund performed in the last month. If the fund outperformed the index, that excess would be possibly go to NI else any extra performance would add to the distribution. My guess is a distribution of around 7.5-8% :)

3. SydneyCider

SydneyCider Member

and the total funds under management is getting very close to a quarter billion dollars!! how good does that sound.

If you are still reading Steve, thanks and well done :)

4. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

Spoke to Steve briefly this morning (in LA on Venice Beach no less). NI outperformed the index this quarter by a reasonable amount thus earning itself a healthy fee (good for shareholders but not for unitholders). He still thinks this distribution will be around 7% depending on add backs. Based on that,I have revised my guestimate for this quarters distribution to 6.75-7.25% :(.

5. Takestock

Takestock Well-Known Member

What a bummer. Such a lousy return for three months hard work! ;)

Sure beats the 2-4% annual return from deposits in banks. :D
    (Yes, I know there is a different risk profile...and that it won't continue forever...)

Steve

6. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Around 7% for the Australian? That has to be a record! Fantastic result!! :D :D

Was there any mention of what sort of Distribution may occur for the US Fund? That Exchange Rate has created one hell of a headwind for it.

7. gad

gad Well-Known Member

Had an email from Mark at NavraInvest this morning.
    Quote:
    In the dying minutes of the financial year indications are that the Navra Australian funds could be making a final distribution in excess of 7 cents per unit (approx 6%).
    End Quote.

8. DaveA__

DaveA__ Well-Known Member

it would be fantastic if we could see an update of this graph to see how they are going with the current conditions

I have the ASX down 2.6% since July 2, and Navra down 2.3%

From July 24, ASX down 5%, Navra 3.8%

For a company who was holding about 30% cash, youd would expect it to be only 70% of what the market is down, which its not. What are peoples opinions on this???

9. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Update 10/08/2007

Hi guys,

Given the recent ASX volatility, I figured you lot might be interested in how Navra has been performing. The last two datum points are extrapolated, but even the known points show Navra having opened up a bit of a lead on the ASX through this pull-back. Still, it has lost quite a bit of ground, which is never nice. Just not enough as has the ASX itself.

Cheers,
    Michael

Attached Files:

10. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Don't forget that the fund would have started buying as the market dropped and even these new purchases may still have gone down further.

It wont be until the next upswing that we get the benefit of that buying.

11. MiddleClassMonkey

MiddleClassMonkey Well-Known Member

MichaelWhyte, am I right in reading that chart as saying Navra has had just positive growth last few days?

12. Mark Laszczuk

Mark Laszczuk Well-Known Member

For you maybe. I think it's great. I just hope it doesn't go up before my money comes through.

Mark

13. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

I guess as has been mentioned, the test is how it performs on the rebounds. It is easy to outperform in a down market - my dog has outperformed the asx over the last couple of weeks!
    With the interest rates having gone up the return should even better during the times when the fund has large cash reserves...

14. Mark Leo

Mark Leo Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael, always appreciate the update.
    Mark Leo.

15. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Is the current volatility the kind of thing that the navra system thrives on?

"The total of all income received in the Funds, net of fund expenses (the management fee), will be distributed to investors each financial year"

How is it decided how much to leave as capitol gain (ie increased unit price) and how much to pay as a distribution?

16. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Distribution is from income (share dividends) and from realised capital gains that result from trading activity (but which is also paid as income rather than as a capital gain because they are active traders).

All such income and gains must be paid out by the end of the financial year (after expenses are deducted).

There is no pay out of unrealised capital gain, and this is what results in an increased unit price post EoFY distribution.

There's no discretion in it - they simply pay out all net income.

17. voigtstr

If, for neutral to postive cashflow, you were relying on the distributions from Navra, what distribution % would you base your numbers on? I'm planning on keeping a cash buffer that would be able to make the margin interest payments and fund rental shortfalls for a quarter (eg assume that navra pays 0% distribution for one quarter). Looking at past distributions I think this strategy would work if I based my portfolio on a 3% from navra each quarter.

Is this conservative enough do you think? or should I have enough invested in Navra that a 2.5% distribution would regularly cover my costs? What kind of market would we need to be in for the the navra system not to regulary (3 out 4 times) generate at least a 2.5% distribution.

Cheers
    Simon

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

This is the biggest challenge in such planning right now - we simply don't know ... there hasn't been a sustained bear market since the fund commenced trading. All our suggestions would be theoretical at best and wild guesses at worst :(

All I can suggest is to be overly cautious until you are satisfied in your own mind that the fund can perform the way you expect.

Personally I'd keep somewhat more than 3 months cash buffer, just in case.

19. gazza

gazza Well-Known Member

I seem to recall Steve commenting in the past that the ASX under normal conditions trades in 10% range during the year and is fairly confident therefore that his dollar cost trading should generate a 10% return most years.

I am with Sim though - this statement has not been tested and since the inception of the fund, the market has been abnormal. I would be constantly monitoring LVRs and have some form a buffer in place to cover shortfalls - either cash or LOC.

20. voigtstr

Thanks Sim, I'll aim for at least a six month buffer.

Is it theoretically impossible for the fund to return 0%? I figure if the fund is trading it has to return some distribution even if the actual capitol is being eroded by falling share prices?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.