Managed Funds The unofficial Navra performance tracking thread

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MichaelW, 20th Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sk3tChY

Sk3tChY Well-Known Member

7% in 3 months is quite yummy...

2. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

that 12% was a pretty abnormal return I'd wager

check out Welcome to NavraInvest Limited - Funds Management and click on the link for each financial year so that it expands, the smallest distribution I can see is 1.55% for June 2004.

To Sim and Others, When Steve was benchtesting the system on histroical data do you know if he would be able to divulge if there were any runs of very small distributions during any downturns tested?

3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Given that the trading activities of the fund are treated as income (not capital gains), and given that the fund may well be creating trading losses during a down market - which will effectively decrease the income for the quarter ... it is theoretically POSSIBLE for the fund to produce zero distributable returns for the quarter.

If your structure relies on you receiving X% of distribution each and every quarter or else you're in big trouble, then I personally feel this is a very large risk to be taking. I'm confident in the fund returning in excess of 10% distribution (I'm hoping for 12% minimum) averaged over the year, but I don't count on receiving anything in any particular quarter.

How much buffer you need will depend on your own strategy ... I'm aiming for a minimum of 12 months of income requirements for my investments (ie IP loans) and for my personal expenses.

4. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

Thanks Sim, while the portfolio is small any shortfalls can be met by our salaries. As it ramps up we'll keep increasing the buffer (which would be earning a bit over 6% and is at call). A 12 month buffer does sound like a sound plan.

5. redrover

redrover Well-Known Member

With the latest "correction" we seem to have handed back most of the last quarter's gains plus of course paying tax on the profits. One step forward, one and a bit back. Sorry for those that got in at the $1.20 plus mark before the distribution, that is a long fight back to get back to level pegging.

6. bundy1964

bundy1964 Well-Known Member

Well they did get the income, current prices does look tempting to buy in.

7. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

I have a feeling they will get a lot more tempting...

8. redrover

redrover Well-Known Member

Bundy said:

Well they did get the income, current prices does look tempting to buy in.

Actually you only got your own money back in the form of a distribution on which you had to pay tax, then the price goes down, so you are sitting on a sizeable loss only for the priviledge of being taxed!!! Would have been better to do nothing!

9. Tropo

Tropo Well-Known Member

Actually you only got your own money back in the form of a distribution on which you had to pay tax, then the price goes down, so you are sitting on a sizeable loss only for the priviledge of being taxed!!! Would have been better to do nothing![/QUOTE]

Well....Standing aside is a position. :cool:

10. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

I bought in at 1.188, and the extrapolated unit price at today's trading level is about 1.000 even. So, a drop of 16% odd. Of course, some of that drop is the distributed profits, but either way, its still a fair way down and the reason my LVR has gone from 60% to 74%. That, and the capitalised interest on the LOC...

Yep, a lot of work to get back to $1.20 odd for the fund and to hold it above that level.

Stop distributing my capital back to me!! ;)

Current performance chart attached. Note: the last two points for the Navra unit price are extrapolated. Hopefully their fall has not been as sharp as the indexes'.

Cheers,
    Michael

Attached Files:

11. coopranos

Index down to 5450 odd then back up to 5640 in the same day...hopefully this is exactly the sort of volatility that the fund with thrive in!
    I would have thought they would be almost fully invested at the low point today? no point holding cash when this is the stuff you have been waiting for!

12. Simon Hampel

Okay - we're half way through the quarter now ... whaddyall reckon the chances are of the market recovering back to where we were at the start of the quarter ? If it did recover, what do you think the income distribution from NavraInvest would be for the quarter ? :D :D

13. 24724

24724 Well-Known Member

Perhaps someone who is attending the Navra course on Sat 25 August in Sydney might like to 'interrogate' the man himself, and report back to the masses with Steve's spin on the current situation and estimated distribution.

But, hey, I'll settle for anything, as long as I receive 10-12% minimum for the year. I will even accept more, if offered. :eek:

Jayar

14. coopranos

I give it: ZILCHO chance!
    Alexander Elder uses the following metaphor: A guy falls down some stairs he may easily get up, dust himself off, and keep running up the stairs; if the guy falls out of a window, he is going to spend a fair bit of time recovering, and when he does start again it will be slowly and shaky!

Just out of interest who is going to the navra seminar next week?

15. craig__

craig__ Member

MichaelW.. wouldn't it be better to start your chart at the start of the current year? I mean, at the 2nd of July the graph shows almost a 1% gain because the base is 29 March.

Perhaps I'm just confused as to the purpose of the graph.

Craig.

16. MichaelW

Sorry mate,

Entirely selfish reason for that, because that's when I bought back into the fund under my company's name. :D

i.e. This is my personal investment timeframe for my current holdings.

I agree a longer/shorter timeframe might be better depending on what you're tracking, but this timeframe works for me! ;)

Cheers,
    Michael.

17. MichaelW

Update: Coming out of the correction

Guys,

Lets assume for a minute that the ASX200 will again return to its previous high of 6400-ish. And lets also assume that this is the kind of volatility that Navra thrives off. If we make those two assumptions then it makes sense to conclude that it should outperform the index over this 15% correction and recovery right? Well that's what I want to test...

Here's a chart of current performance. You can see in red where it has previously opened up a lead during the pull-back but given away all of that lead by the time the ASX200 has recovered to its previous levels. My concern is that it will do so again. It has opened up a 3% growth lead over the ASX200 as a result of the pull back. That's 3% in growth since the beginning of April that Navra has achieved above the ASX200. My concern is that when the index recovers to 6400 all of that lead will have been given back. You can see this by the green points and the green arrow showing the current outperformance.

I'll post again when the ASX200 makes it back to 6400 (if ever ;) ) and we'll see whether this volatility really is the sort of thing that Navra thrives on.

Time will tell. Until then, I like the fact I have a 3% lead over the index.

Cheers,
    Michael.

Attached Files:

18. Glebe

Glebe Well-Known Member

Mike, thanks for your efforts.

19. Simon Hampel

I met with Steve yesterday ... he was a very very happy person.

... although he has just come back from a couple of months holiday, which certainly helps :D

20. Alan__

Alan__ Well-Known Member

Well he'll be MUCH happier today. Market currently up 167 points! :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.