Managed Funds The unofficial Navra performance tracking thread

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by MichaelW, 20th Jun, 2007.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Nope - we're back to the old chestnut you and I have previously debated.

From your example - if the fund paid a distribution of 2c today, it would be from trading profits accumulated since the beginning of the quarter. These trading profits result in an increase in the unit price. You will ONLY receive a distribution that has already increased the unit price by that amount.

The problem is (and the thing you are fixating on), is that the underlying share value has fallen too - thus causing the unit price to drop.

The equation is: unit price * number of units issued = net asset value + accumulated profits

Distribution comes out of accumulated profits, so in order for there to ever be a distribution, these accumulated profits must first go up by the amount of the distribution!

Now, if net asset value falls by greater than the amount of accumulated profits, then the overall unit price will fall. This has absolutely nothing to do with the distribution - it is 100% as a result of the fall in value of the underlying shares.

So you cannot blame the unit price fall on a distribution - a distribution can never (on its own) cause the unit price to drop below what it was at the beginning of the financial year. If the unit price does drop, it will be solely as a result of a fall in net asset value, not as a result of the distribution.

Either way - the things you are suggesting the fund do is quite impossible - the fund MUST distribute profits eventually ... it makes no difference whatsoever whether it does it in the quarter it was earned or by the end of the year.

I do understand what you are saying about LVRs, but it is not the fund's responsibility to be concerned about how you choose to run your margin loan.

2. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Sim,

Can the unit price drop as a result of trades leaving the fund with less shares to support the unit price.

That way the fund would be making income to be distributed but loosing value due to the loss of shares???

Is this the case?:eek:

MJK

3. Simon Hampel

I'm not sure how the unit price would drop as the result of selling ? If they are selling, then one assumes the share price is rising, thus the unit price will rise as well.

If the share value subsequently falls after the sale, thus decreasing net asset value and unit price, it is not a result of the sale or the distribution of the profit from that sale - it is from the drop in share value.

But then, I'm not sure if that's what you really meant by "leaving the fund with less shares to support the unit price" ??

If you have 10000 shares worth $10 each, you have $100,000 worth of shares. If you sell 1000 shares @ $10, you now have $90,000 worth of shares and $10,000 worth of cash (minus trading costs). So the net asset value is still approximately $100,000. Any subsequent change in the share price will affect the unit price, but not the sale itself ???

4. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

Correct, but then if the 10k in cash was then distributed you would be left with 90k so the value of your holdings would be diminished.

I suppose I'd like to think that I invested 100k, then those shares grew to 110k. Then 10k worth of trade profit may have taken place. 10k was distributed and then I was left with 100k in the fund (ie my original investment.

Capital guaranteed:eek: :eek: ! (not every qtr but generally speaking!)

Anyway so far my average buy in price is $1.10. We are nearly there again so all past distributions are pure profit.:D

MJK:D

5. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

MJK,

Yep, similar thinking to mine. But to be clear, SIM is spot on. I know exactly how the fund operates and I know that the unit price is representative of the value of the underlying assets + undistributed trading profits.

I didn't mean to re-open this "old chestnut" again.

When I bought back in recently I did so immediately prior to a distribution so am showing a negative equity position in the fund immediately. However, that money paid off my house and reduced my non-deductable debt to zero! That's a huge outcome and a small price to pay to be showing negative equity in my fund.

I re-iterate that I am very pro-Navra and in fact I think I can claim to have introduced quite a few people to the fund and to NFS over the years on the back of my support of them.

I'm happy for the fund to distribute trading profits and thrilled it has done well through the recent correction. I'll just choose how to use the next distribution differently. Now that my non-deductable debt is reduced to zero, I'll use the distribution to pay down some deductable debt. In my case, that will be my margin loan so that I can reduce my LVR from its current level.

Never mistake that I still love this fund and the company. I hope none of my musings have confused that point. The main reason I follow it so closely is so I can highlight its performance to the uninitiated, and also because I know a fair few members of this forum also hold that fund due to where this forum initiated. As such, I think my ongoing "updates on performance" now quarantined to this thread should be of interest to quite a few members here. Let me know if my ongoing dialogue and analysis of Navra is seen as counter-productive and I'll stop doing so. A post in another thread mistakenly considered my analysis to be due to some need to try and turn the fund into something it isn't, or because I am hung up on it. I'm not. I thought I was just providing a service, but would happily go Mum on Navra if that is the forum's preference.

Cheers,
    Michael.

6. Simon

Simon Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work please MW.

After yesterdays 150 point bull day we have opened 30 odd points down. So yesterday was a day for selling down and today it is buying time. We should be back to the $1.20 level in no time at all!!!!!

Cheers,

7. Simon Hampel

Yes, but your portfolio would still be worth 90K + 10K = $100K (before tax).

Yes, that is usually the way it works.

You just have to live with the fact that this is a sharemarket investment, and the value of the shares can fall. There is no capital guarantee - and there's nothing we can do about that (other than finding a different investment vehicle).

The reason I keep going on about it is that I see a few people with these "I suppose I'd like" thoughts - which I think are going to lead to disappointment, because the fund doesn't (and to a degree can't) operate the way those thoughts are heading.

I just want everyone to have a very clear understanding of how it works so that there are no surprises and no disappointments :D

Many of the principals (other than the trading mechanisms) also apply to every other unit trust / fund.

I only wish I had this much information about some of my other funds. I got some big surprises during the correction which were not pleasant at all. I made decisions based on what I thought the fund would do and I got it completely wrong and lost quite a bit of money :( I'd love to be able to ring CFS and ask them for details about how their fund trades so that I can understand it better - but I'm sure that's not going to be a productive phone call (unless someone here knows the right people I can call directly :D )

The attached chart shows the real (unadjusted) unit price of the Navra AUS Retail fund for the June quarter this year - which was an excellent quarter for the fund.

Unit price was 1.1373 at the start of the quarter, and reached 1.2126 by the end of the quarter. Then due to the size of the distribution, the ex-distribution unit price was approximately 1.1222 ... that's lower than the unit price at the start of the quarter ! The reason for this drop (as shows in the chart by the red arrow), is the distribution of all remaining accumulated profits for the year being distributed.

If you bought into the fund at any time during that quarter, you would see the unit price drop after the distribution to below what you bought in at. That's just how unit prices work and isn't unique to Navra (although the high levels of distributed income and low levels of unrealised growth to compound the effect).

What's more, in order to have bought in lower than the end of financial year ex-distribution price, you would have had to buy in before the 17th January !! Any investment after that date would see negative equity in your holdings post distribution. That's just how it works, and is actually a sign that the fund is doing really really well.

If people don't like how this happens, I suggest that they always make their purchases early in the quarter, and perhaps even early in the financial year - this gives you the best chance of retaining some unit price growth in the Navra funds. I think there's no need myself - but I know some people find it a bit difficult.

I actually see it as more of an opportunity than a problem - it means I can sell down some of my capital if I need to, without incurring much in the way of capital gains (perhaps even incurring a capital loss - which can be used to offset other realised capital gains such as those distributed from some growth funds !).

Attached Files:

8. Simon Hampel

I think most people are more than happy to see your spreadsheets - so please don't stop.

9. MJK__

MJK__ Well-Known Member

:D
    I buy all my units post distribution. That is how I have continued to buy over the years and maintain a $1.10 average.
    It was a great buying opportunity last week if you could have timed it but I had already spent my money.
    On the whole the unit price crosses the 1.10 mark each quarter so as long as it doesn't disappear below 1.00 I'm happy enough because I know it will get back up.

Navra has been a sensational investment/income vehicle for me!

P.S. Michael, I enjoy your spreadsheets. Keep them coming.

MJK:D

10. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

I think I should follow the same approach next year. I'll park the money in ING each month until distribution time. Would mailing the application form on the first business day of each quarter be early enough to take advantage of the lower unit price, or is it a couple of days in before the unit price drops?

11. MichaelW

MichaelW Well-Known Member

Funny,

I rushed my application the quarter before last so I could beat the distribution deadline! :D

I wanted to convert non-deductable debt to deductable debt and this is a sure fire way of doing so. Worked well. I still claim the interest deduction on the pre-distribution amount as that's what I borrowed to purchase the units. But now the distribution sits nicely in my mortgage offset account reducing my non-deductable debt.

Nice outcome, and the LVR wasn't hampered too much...

Cheers,
    Michael.

12. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

I am with Suncorp, and my 2 purchases into the Navra fund took place the day after I sent in the application to the margin lender, and the units appeared on my account the next day also with the correct buy price.

13. Dr Lobster

Dr Lobster Well-Known Member

Maybe the following question has been discussed above however I couldn't find it.

Ignoring distributions, what determines the unit price of the Navra Fund ?

14. voigtstr

voigtstr Well-Known Member

The website doesnt update the unit prices for a few weeks after distribution though I think, I would need to contact navra and find out which day the unit price drops.

15. Simon Hampel

All managed funds operate the same way - they start with a unit price of 1.0000 at fund inception and then issue units as money is added to the fund. Each day they recalculate the value of the assets held by the fund (add up the current value of all shares plus any cash on hand after expenses have been taken out for the day), and then divide that by the number of units issued to calculate the unit price for that day.

Thus the unit price is basically determined by two basic factors - the value of the shares the fund holds, plus the value of any cash on hand.

A distribution is a payment of cash out of the fund, thus the value of cash held drops, and the unit price drops accordingly.

16. Simon Hampel

The unit price drops after the last day of the quarter and before the first day of the next quarter.

eg. for this coming September distribution, the 28th of Sept is the last trading day for the quarter, thus at the end of that day the fund will have a unit price of X, which represents the total value of all shares held plus all cash on hand after expenses for the day have been taken out.

This means that if your transaction is processed on the 28th, you get that unit price before distribution is calculated.

Then they calculate the distribution after the end of that day and there is what is referred to as a "post distribution" unit price, which is a lower figure than X above, and reflects the drop in unit price after distribution cash has been taken out of the fund. Generally, the unit price post distribution falls by the amount distributed. So if the fund distributes 3.2c per unit, then the unit price will generally drop by 0.032 to reflect that. It's actually a bit more complicated - but that's essentially it.

If you look at the unit price data for some funds (CFS and Platinum for example), you'll see that they publish two unit prices for the last day of the quarter ... the pre-distribution and the post-distribution prices.

This means that from the first trading day of the next quarter (1st of October in our example), the unit price will be lower - even though the website hasn't been updated yet, if you have your transaction processed on the 1st October, you will get the lower unit price. You can check this by looking at the historical unit prices available on the Navra website - the first day of the new quarter shows the lower unit price.

Interestingly, Navra actually seem to do things a little differently than most other funds when it comes to reinvesting distributions - they don't actually use the post-distribution unit price to calculate the reinvested unit price - they seem to be using the unit price at the end of the first day of the quarter ... which I think is not ideal, since you have to wait an entire trading day to get your unit price (what if the market crashed on that day ??). I might be wrong here (it's been a while since I had distributions automatically reinvested), but you can check by looking at the unit price your distribution was reinvested at and comparing that to the unit price at the end of the first day of trading for the new quarter ... from memory, they are the same.

17. coopranos

coopranos Well-Known Member

Another day for Navra to 'crack the champagne' possibly?!

18. markv

markv Member

getting involved in the discussions

Hey guys,
    been lurking aroudn here for ages but neer had confidence to post.
    so i thought i better start.

im still learning how the navra system works. but say today the market goes down... this is when nava conitnues to buy more right?
    buying opportunitues today i guess...

its sounds good once the market bounces again :)

blackjack.

19. Simon Hampel

Just to be completely accurate, the Navra system buys when a share goes down, not the market. They might be buying one share while selling others.

PS. welcome to the forums.

20. markv

markv Member

thanks im happy to et more involved in discussing now.

thanks sim for correcting me i think this way we can learn andd feed off my own ideas soon :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.