Join our investing community

The value of Accountants

Discussion in 'Accounting, Tax & Legal' started by pudsa, 18th Sep, 2006.

1. pudsa

pudsa Well-Known Member

Its well and truly that time of year and we got to thinking "just what should we expect from our accountant?" Would be interested in what others feel should be the input from their accountant. Should they be just a bookeeper, someone who advises that your watch battery might be a tax deduction or someone who is prepared and able to discuss tax strategies, provide in depth tax advice and be available to discuss tax related business issues.

On that note can anyone recommend a good accountant in Newcastle/NSW Central Coast or northern side of Sydney; we live in Newcastle, Lake Macquarie.
    Cheers :)

2. Jacque

Jacque Team InvestEd

Hi there Pudsa

A good accountant should be an excellent communicator in my books- someone who can explain things in clear english and isn't afraid to suggest new ideas. Even better if they have financial planning qualifications.
    I realise that Nick Moustacas is a little way away from you in Newcastle (he's now based in Hurstville, which is a southern suburb of Sydney) but considering that most of us only visit our accountants once or twice a year and that a lot can be done via phone and email these days, distance isn't as high a priority as getting quality accounting is :)

Nick knows his stuff, is an investor himself and is quite innovative.:D

Please note that in no way do I have any vested interest here in recommending him- I just happen to know of several very satisfied clients who have been thrilled with him and the service he provides.

3. pudsa

pudsa Well-Known Member

Thanks Jacque, appreciate the post. You make a good point about being a communicator and being innovative.
    Cheers :D

4. NickM

NickM Co-founder Staff Member

Hi Pudsa

We do our best to be proactive with our clients. We try to add value through forums + place updates and tips etc on our website.

we always look for better ways for our clients to do things but we cant be mind readers either. Hence if a client is "thinking" of doing something they should always ask their adviser first.

Communication and accessibility are 2 vital ingredients in choosing an adviser.

NickM

5. pudsa

pudsa Well-Known Member

Hi Nick, thank you for the input. From your and Jacque's comments it would seem the big 2 are to be able to communicate with your accountant and for the accountant to be accessible for that communication. As the point was made, throughout the course of a year you may not chat a lot but there are time when it is absolutely vital.
    Cheers :)